Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

step-mother or stepmother?

edited June 2014 in Writing
I'm all ears.

Comments

• stepmother
  • Oh.

Thanks, Ms Baggster.

*rushes off to 'Replace all'*
  • *hopes there are no mothers stepping*

• I did a replace all of Mr to Mr. and ended up with Mr.s for Mrs.

This editing business is enough to bring on insanity.
  • Hmm - be care-full...
  • I'd put stepmother, but then I'd put Mr so you can't go by what I'd do. At least I think I would. It looks odd now I've typed it out.
  • It's in the dick and henry as stepmother.
  • edited June 2014
    I'd put stepmother and Mr without a . Traditionally Mr had a . - Mr., Mrs. - but for unknown reasons . seems to have been dropped.
    Is this making any sense at all?
  • So, should I change it back to Mr? Mr. seemed a bit old-fashioned and over-detailed, but I used it as it was 'correct' - or used to be - when I was a nipper. I've never used that dot with Mrs.
  • Until then?

• Yep, changed it - 70 replacements!
  • I meant in your comment...
  • Well done, TN! Mr and Mrs being abbreviations but also titles, they used to have .s. However, the . is now understood (as in, we understand there ought to be one but it's an extravagant use of ink, so we're breaking the rules).
  • Yes, Baggy. I understood what you meant!

I've just removed all the dots from Mr in my document.

I've just got to the end of yet another edit. It's almost there.
  • I'd just rename him. Much easier.
  • What can she call him if not Mr?
    BTW - I'd say stepmother. After all, one says grandmother.
  • Re-write the character and call it Miss...
  • Oh gods! That's the last thing I wanted to read tonight!
    The agent who's asked for the whole ms of Helter-Skelter says it 'might be difficult to market 'with a male MC.
  • 'Might be' isn't the same as 'impossible'.
  • It's in the dick and henry as stepmother.
    It was Mr/Mr. I was having doubts about. Had a look and I do use Mr without the .
  • So do I.
  • Me too - now.
    Back where I were a lad I always wrote it with a .
  • You were a lad?
  • It's a long story - I won't bore you with it now, I'm off to bed.
    :-SS
  • Is it still used, nowadays? Don't kids just say, 'Linda' or my dad's girlfriend'/
  • edited June 2014
    They probably use their name when speaking to them, but refer to them as stepmother when talking about them especially to people who don't know them. That's what I do (admittedly I'm not a kid, but it's not just kids who have step parents) Also it's not just kids who have to refer to the relationship.

How a stepmother is addressed might depend on the family situation. If the stepchild lives with a mother who is very bitter about Dad's new relationship they might not be so polite.

I doubt 'girlfriend' would be used after marriage.
  • Liz, I demand that you remove your fly from the ointment forthwith.

It's the author's voice, dahling, that will use the word 'stepmother'. I am sorry to say, that in my (children's) book she is up to no good. Stereotypically, she is as wicked as they come.

The MC's father is always referred to as Mr Mugsworthy-Millions - hence the Mr/Mr. dilemma.
  • bow tie or bow-tie?
  • I think stepmother is one of those words that used to be hyphenated but with use has become one word...
  • Great. No replacements needed there then. Phew.
  • a)conveyer-belt shelves?
    b)conveyer belt shelves?

I'm tending towards a), although I've used b)

*poises finger over 'Replace'*

I've developed a hyphen disorder/hyphen-disorder.
  • No, I actually now think it should be conveyer belt-shelves.
  • edited June 2014
    What actually is one?

It's conveyor belt - but I don't understand the shelves.
  • They don't have shelves on conveyor belts - just belts. It's a transport system, not a parking space!
    NB conveyor with an o not an e.
  • I don't know why I wrote it with an 'e' here. I have written in correctly in the manuscript! Sorry about that.

*hangs head in shame*

To explain the notion of conveyor belt (-) shelves, this is a book where inventions feature heavily.

At Lottery Lodge is a library where, at the touch of a button, the shelves roll around the housing unit horizontally from left to right in a conveyor belt-type way. They will also roll around in a vertical manner like the old-fashioned blackboards. When a book has been read, it has to be posted through a letterbox-shaped aperture and it is automatically replaced in the correct slot due to the gubbins behind it - rather like what happens to suitcases once you have checked them in at the airport, but a lot more sophisticated.

Hence, conveyor belt-shelves.
  • *tuts*

Oh.

*wonders what Larry Grayson would make of it*
  • I know what Paul Daniels would make of it... 'Not a lot.'
  • edited June 2014
    I know what you mean. Usually the public don't see that bit, it's only known to those on the inside... :)
  • Ah, you mean, it does the job that I used to do as a librarian? Well, I was a library administrator, but I did the job of the librarian on account of there wasn't one. (I was cheaper.) If they'd known they could have had a conveyor belt instead, I'd have been unemployed.
  • Darn fictitious inventions, Mrs Bear.

I used to keep a notebook of my inventions. Don't know what happened to that. It should be me living on Necker Island, not Richard Branson.
  • *ponders making jokes about virgins*

Me too.
  • Virgins? Where?

*looks round and sees self looking virginal in mirror*
  • *winks at Richard Branson*

Wanna fly me?
  • Mr v. Mr.: my understanding (which I think came from Red Editing Pen) is that we use a full stop if the abbreviation contains the first letters of the word, but not otherwise. E.g., st. = street (it contains the first and second letters of the word street) whereas st = saint.

Mr does not contain the first and second letters of mister, therefore there should not be a full stop.
  • Oh. Never heard that rule before! I always write St. I live in a sainted village, actually!

Just got my proof back and one of my proofreaders has hyphened rooms, e.g. dining-room, living-room. I don't think that's right.
  • I think this is another of those word situations where at one time it was always hyphenated, but with common usage has become 'living room'...
  • According to the Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Puncutation, Mr is a contraction not an abbreviation: that's to say that the middle letters are missing. No punctuation is attached to contractions as it is to abbreviations.
  • So can someone explain what Mrs is a contraction of?