Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can I use this?

edited June 2014 in Writing
I'm just reading a short story one last time before I submit it and something's just occurred to me. Can I mention "Dungeons and Dragons" in my story - seeing as it's trademarked? I know Stephen King uses brand names all the time, but being the big writer he is he might have a deal with these companies or just get away with it as they like the promotion.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    You could mention characters played the game or something like that, you can't use any elements from it in the story.

I don't know D&D, so I'll use Harry Potter as an example. You could say your character read the book, saw the film, looked like HP etc, but HP can't be a character in your story, your characters can't go to Hogwarts or play Quidditch.
  • It's just the title "Dungeons and Dragons" itself mentioned in my story. The character observes the board game sitting in the middle of his bedroom. Is that okay?
  • That should be fine.

Should have added that you can't say or imply anything untrue. You're not doing that though.
  • Titles cannot be copyrighted.
  • I would have imagined that you can mention any game/toy as, like song titles, certain might be very useful in placing a story in a certain decade. But I don't know this for a fact. I also imagine you might not be able to say something like, 'the fact that he played Cluedo incessantly as a child may have caused him to become a serial killer'?
  • Thanks, PM.

Sorry, Liz, causing confusion there. When I said title I meant trademarked name of a popular roleplaying game. It isn't the title of my story. I know titles can't be copyrighted. And there was me harping on about choosing words carefully in another thread ;)
  • I use loads of song references in my writing / helps with mood and settings every writer does this and as long as you aren't being abusive or derogatory there should be no issues.
  • Just don't quote any song lyrics, datco! (I'm sure you know not to, but for the sake of anybody who doesn't, they're copyrighted and you might land yourself in trouble if you quote them without permission).

There's no problem with mentioning brands, though. I was always amazed by Douglas Coupland's "The Gum Thief" - his characters all work in Staples and to say they're not the most dedicated or professional staff in the world is a huge understatement! But I guess because he didn't attack the company itself, or claim to have based them on any real employees, he was in the clear from a libel point of view.
  • Quoting song lyrics is VERY expensive, even if you ask first.