Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Publisher

edited June 2014 in Writing
Does anyone know about a new publisher called Creativia? They have offered to re-publish a children's book for me, There is no cost on my part, obviously no advance but decent royalties,....but I have some doubts. One is the fact they want to use the old cover, but-to my mind-to give the book a fresh look, an updated cover is needed. Paperback is POD, which is another problem as booksellers want to send back unsold copies. Okay, I have no problem paying for copies for school visits. I also believe they are based in Finland, another problem as I believe in face to face discussions.

Comments

• It would be interesting to see how they plan to market your book. Do they have a marketing strategy?
    Will they be able to get your book into the bookshops, if so which ones?
    A lot of independent publishers are POD these days to keep the cost down. This doesn't mean they won't be promoting your book.
    I'd ask a few more questions, but be optimistic.
  • Have a look at the reviews of their books. Pick the ones most appropriate to your work and see how well they're doing. Their website is quite comprehensive, so you should find something.
  • edited June 2014
    Do you have the rights to re-use the old cover image?
  • Are they offering to do anything you can't do yourself?
  • Cover image doesn't matter as the whole outfit, Discovered Authors/ Callio Press has folded. I am discussing matters with Completely Novel, and whilst there is no problem selling online, Kindle version or to schools, I have found that being in a bookshop is essential to getting known, with local interviews, both newspaper and radio. There is a potential sticking point as Creativia say the shop can get direct from them or create space. No shop will work on buying in with no sale or return. I am also waiting for a report from Society of Authors, but would love to hear from an author who signed up with them
  • would love to hear from an author who signed up with them
    Look at the author profiles on Amazon - some have links to blogs etc. You should find their contact details easy enough.

• If they are using createspace for their POD this is something you can do youself at no cost. CreateSpace offer free expanded distribution which includes (according to their website) online and offline retailers such as Barnes & Noble and distributors Ingrams and NACSCORP (whoever they are?) They also include Baker & Taylor so your book is available to accademic institutions and libraries.
    Local newpapers and radio interview is something you have to arrange your self as are book signings etc. Good luck with this whatever you decide.
    Do let usk know.