Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are 8 year old girls actually interested in?

edited June 2014 in Writing
Hello fellow TBers

Been AWOL a while (again) but you'll be glad to know that's in part been because I've been beavering away writing :-)

And I'm wondering if any TBers have some good answers to the question:

'What are 8 year old girls interested in?'
Tagged:

Comments

• Eight year old girls nowadays are very different, especially dependent on where they live and whether their family has money or not.
  • Have a look at some magazines - that might provide some ideas.
  • My friend's daughter has been playing some video game or other.
  • My nine-year-old Italian neighbour likes clothes and video games, shrieking in the swimming pool with her friends, making elaborate bracelets out of tiny elastic bands (the latest craze) watching TV, being giggly and girly.
  • Brownies is a big one, perhaps a bit surprisingly. It's kind of retro-cool.
  • Loom bands....
  • 8 year old boys?
  • making elaborate bracelets out of tiny elastic bands (the latest craze) .
    Loom bands....
    Ahh yes, the elastic 'loom band' craze has found its way here downunder as well. My 12 year old niece has an enormous assortment of associated bits and pieces. Not quite the age you're looking for, Emma, but there's usually a crossover with those sorts of fads. I'll ask my teacher son and his teacher wife about other current interests of 8 year old girls for you.

• making elaborate bracelets out of tiny elastic bands (the latest craze) .
    Loom bands....
    Ahh yes, the elastic 'loom band' craze has found its way here downunder as well. My 12 year old niece has an enormous assortment of associated bits and pieces. Not quite the age you're looking for, Emma, but there's usually a crossover with those sorts of fads. I'll ask my teacher son and his teacher wife about other current interests of 8 year old girls for you.

What they said. from about 6 right through to 18, all trying to tie themselves in more and more complicated knots. The bands are cheap, and the how tos are free on you tube, so you don't always need the starter pack. Mine's nine, and nothing else comes close in her school year. Vaccum cleaner hates the flipping things.
  • My granddaughter is 7 going on 8. She loves playing games on the ipad, (There is a favourite that involves Moshi Monsters) mad on rainbow loom (showed me how to make a bracelet), loves singing along with current tunes and also likes to dance to the songs. She loves lip balm and make up things, yes I know too young but she made me go in the Clares shop and they have loads of little boxes of makeup things for girls in there. I said you are too young for make up but let her have some lip balm. She loves clothes shopping and only likes to wear dresses. She also collects World Cup stickers. She plays tennis and likes writing stories and poems and playing with her dolls and she can sing all the songs of Frozen.
  • Not forgetting:-
    One Direction,
    Cuddly pets,
    Furbies (still),
    Fairies,
    Social intermingling, sleep-overs and parties.
    [information result of study of Granddaughter aged nine-and-a-half going on twenty something ...]
  • My nine year old granddaughter, and all her friends, are into Minecraft on the X-box. Along with that is watching videos of Minecraft by a young man, Stampylongnose, he's been on TV and moving to LA on the strength of the fan support. The kids can't get enough of them.
  • I've just heard about the Loom thing, I had no idea about it before now
  • They had those loom band things in an item on BBC Breakfast today.
  • A quick reflection on my 9 year old niece's interests:
    -One Direction (could be substituted with any other boy band of the generation)
    -Dancing (or any other hobby where they can dress up, put on make up and prance around with friends)
    -Loom Bands (the frienship bcraelets of the noughties)
    -Animals (for me it was dolphins/seals but for her it is dogs and cats)
    -Fashion (not sure what the equivalent of Jackie magazine is these days though!)
    -Nintendo Ds (I'm still struggling to come to terms with a SEGA)
    - Selfies and BB ing her friends (Shudders at the thought of this being an option in the 80's/90's- not sure if my hair would have fit on the one screen!)
    - Any Disney musical (currently Frozen)

Hope this helps.
  • There's loads of websites up and running all about loom bracelets or loom bands - I'm tempted to have a go