Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The best book on self-editing?

JenJen
edited June 2014 in Writing
I'm looking for a book to help me to re-write/edit my stories and novels. Can anyone recommend one? It will be helpful if they have exercises. I need some help with editting and none of my writing books or the course I did gives you help in this area

Comments

• Copied from another thread:

Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell - I won this book, can't remember how, but I found it an enjoyable and informative read.
  • The one Baggy said or Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne & King.
    Good luck with your re-write/edit.
  • I can recommend 'Solutions for Writers' by Sol Stein. Very comprehensive, which is why I'm still editing a year later, lol.

Good luck on your book, Jen.
  • Ditto Dwight's suggestion. Reading that book made a huge difference to my approach to writing... it holds pride of place amongst my reference books.
  • Thanks I bought one but I havn't had a chance to look over it. None of them seem to help with short stories but I guess it won't matter. Might get one more book just because I have none. But not sure which yet so many books to choose from and asking others adds to the list
  • Thanks I bought one but I havn't had a chance to look over it.
    Which one did you buy, Jen?

I've just been reading from the Look Inside facility of the one BB suggested: Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell and it sounds so promising I'm going to buy it!

p.s. the Della Galton one sounds like it would more suitable for novice writers who specifically want to break into the Womag market.
  • Self-editing fiction that sells By Lorena Goldsmith. It doesn't seem to bad. After doing the future learn course I wanted something to help me look at a story and edit it to make it better. This book has exercises to help you. But it seems to be a bit short ? Maybe they all are