Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

"Flying", Again...

edited July 2014 in Writing
Hi again, all!
Just when you all thought it was safe to come back on TB, up I pop...

Sorry I haven't been on here lately (or even in the Facebook Café) - been extremely busy with my new job (gone back into Lift Engineering again), and also started a crazy Group Project with the insane-sounding goal of getting a Vickers Wellington bomber reconstructed and back into the air, after an absence from our skies for about 65yrs or so...
Started a new Facebook Page to gauge interest, and "BOOM!", it gained over 730 "Likes" and active supporters in its first three months!! Very encouraging indeed, and it's spawned a rapidly increasing network of like-minded, highly-knowledgeable and skilled enthusiasts; all we need now is a huge injection of Euro-Lottery winnings, and we'll be airborne in no time (says he, wishfully... ;-) )
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fly-Again-Wellington-Bomber/388964444533238?ref=stream&fref=nf

On a more earth-bound note, I now have a publisher getting serious about my Grandfather's WW2 RAF/POW memoirs (at last!), "March By Moonlight", so that's competing very strongly for my time against the Wellington Project...and my long-suffering wife now has little or no chance of getting the jobs done in our new abode...

All go, and all good, as far as things are going here, now... ;-)

Comments

• BL Zebub- look into Lottery Heritage Funding- yes there's paperwork, but this sounds like a project that would be favoured.

(I know a writer who has received funding from them for history related projects in local communities.)

If you can get it done and flying, it has a lot of potential.

And good to see you back. :D
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2014
    I've done some Arts Council proposals BLZB and the trick is to get the funding proposal papers through at an early stage and go through the questions and get an idea of what they are wanting, very evident in the questions - ie does the project appeal to all socio-economic/ethnic groups. Will this project appeal/educate people who might not know anything about Wellington bombers. Then you can think of ways to answer their questions which are really 'wants' or 'needs' if you are going to get the funding.
  • Oh, and welcome back!
  • What a brilliant project, BLZ. Even if you get it rebuilt, you may find it harder still to get the license to fly it again - some Lancasters can only taxi about on the ground for that reason.
    Definitely apply for Lottery cash - what's the worst that could happen? But be sure to get your marketing proposal fully finished and polished.
    Great news about your Grandfather's memoirs.
    You haven't been idle, have you?
  • Wow, sounds like an exciting and rewarding time coming up for you. Hope it all goes well and keep us in the loop!
  • edited July 2014
    BLZeebub = you might like to look up the CL44 Association online - a gtoup my OH belongs to of people who flew in the plane of that ilk also known affectionately as the Guppie. They revived one of their planes - good luck with your project.
    My OH says there ,might be some guys in the CL44 Assn who could help you with the Vickers. but don't leave it too long to call because they're all getting on a bit!

PS PM me if you want a contact number.
  • Thank y'all kindly, folks!
    Carol, I'll definitely look into the Lottery Heritage Fund for that, as well as Liz's suggested Arts Council funding - all such suggestions most welcome!
    There are many irons in fires now, all building up "heat" with good advice and information coming back (along with a great deal of stirring excitement at the prospect of getting airborne again after so long) - and yes, Mrs Bear, there are many, many reasons for aircraft being denied the luxury of flight by Civil Aviation Authority regulations, but I've just received an e-mail confirming that it could well be correctly certified as airworthy, provided various structural issues are addressed and completed to their satisfaction...or just changed totally with a new airframe design that mimicks the original geodetic airframe design, but is built much stronger; we'll see how it develops, but it's only just getting past the feasibility study stage and into the public support arena.
    First task is for me to complete building a mock-up Wellington cockpit (or "Mockpit", as I've tagged it), and to install flight simulator software in it for wannabe bomber pilots to have a go (for a donation, naturally!), and then tow it around the UK to events and museums, etc, to raise awareness of the whole project.
    I don't do things by halves, eh? ;-)
  • There's a WW2 museum somewhere in sussex - I went there with my family last year - where there are loads of enthusiasts fixing engines, swapping parts and expertise all over the world etc. It's on an old WW2 airbase, I think. If you can't find it on Google I''ll ask my kids where it is,
  • Me again. I talked to the CL44 man this morning and he's waiting for your email - I sent you the address in a message. He says if you call him soon he can put your details in the newsletter he is writing now.
  • Gosh, you have been busy - and very productive. The best of luck with your new project, BLZ - and I love the title of your book.