Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Publicity

edited July 2014 in Writing
Trying to get some - it seems you need to be well known to get any publicity but you can only become well known by getting some publicity!!!

Local edinburgh press hard to engage with even with a publishers marketing department behind you - now trying a few smaller papers and freebies also planning on 'offering' myself to various groups who have regular guest speakers - what does everyone else do?

Comments

• Local radio is a good source of publicity- can reach a wide mix of people that way.
  • Contact local BBC. I managed interviews with BBC Wales, Manchester, Derby and Nottingham. Nearly got into Manchester TV as I waited, because they thought I was going on North West News! Sadly, the mistake was realised just before I was taken to make-up!
  • If you want to be in a newspaper you need to be newsworthy. 'Writer publishes book' isn't news.

Local radio does seem the best bet but even then it helps if you have something to offer other than just advertising your book.
  • Of course, Phots Moll is correct. What about streaking at a sporting event, or going to the Buck Palace Garden Party dressed as a banana?
  • I have several readings lined up at local literary festivals and a talk in a library. I did a book signing in a pub while on holiday in Malta and another at the British Legion Coffee morning.
    All local events. Not sure how you break into the 'big time'. If you find out please let us know. :-)
  • Fascinating, and well done, Casey. Were your books on sale in Malta, or did you take a suitcase full?
  • They were sent out by my daughter at exorbitant cost but worth every penny. It was the first printing and such a thrill. The sort money can't buy.
  • I agree start with local events. Even if they don't seem to generate much publicity they are good for experience and will help get you noticed by the 'larger' media. BBC local radio is good too especially if you can push (exaggerate???) the local angle.
  • Thanks, Casey. I'm sure it was a great moment, a great experience.
  • Well done, casey. You sound very organised. Every little bit helps!