Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A different italics question...

edited August 2014 in Writing

‘Of course, Sam. No problemo, as they say.’ He’d been watching too much TV and was picking up all sorts of phrases.

In the text above, I wanted to emphasize the phrase 'as they say'. I used italics for this. However, one of my proofreaders has indicated that I should use italics instead for 'No problemo' as it is 'foreign'. I wanted this part of the speech to roll off the tongue naturally, though, as though it is commonplace.

Any thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• I wouldn't use any italics in that.
  • Isn't it slang based on problema (Spanish)?
  • Yes, it's not meant to be any real language. The character is showing off that he is picking up common terms which he's heard on TV, so wants to stress the 'as they say' part of the sentence.
  • No italics, IMO
  • 'No problemo' is sufficiently different in itself, as cod-Spanish, not to need italics, TN, and you wouldn't italicise 'as they say' either. It's one of those phrases that irritates just by being there - meaningless, but used for effect.
  • Agreed, no italics necessary.
  • Thanks, all.

Italics have been duly removed and driven into the earth with a heavy mallet.
  • A slanted one, I trust?
  • At a 30 degree angle, of course...
  • I am late to this thread. However, TN, you seem to have received admirable advice.

*feels at a loose end* ~:> :(|)
  • diddums :)
  • I am late to this thread. However, TN, you seem to have received admirable advice.

*feels at a loose end* ~:> :(|)
    Don't worry. I know you would have helped IF YOU HAD BEEN BOTHERED TO LOOK AT MY CAREFULLY-NURTURED THREAD.

*breathes deeply and counts to ten*

Maybe you could find something to do. I don't know... fitting a too-big bath panel, perhaps?

• I take care not to pass an early opinion on anything that's to do with grammar, punctuation, etc. I usually get sneered at and prefer to go with the flow when a consensus has been reached.

There is bath panel news on the Grumpy Thread.
  • Whoopee!

*rushes across draped in towel*
  • If you have an email message in the story, would you show that in italics?
  • No, I'd use a different font and set it out like an email.