Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Collected together?

edited August 2014 in Writing
Is it tautological to add 'together' to 'collected'?

Comments

• Yes, although depending on what you mean and punctuation it could be Ok i.e. the recycling bin was collected, together with the garden bin.

But I don't think that's what you meant.
  • 'Collected' doesn't always mean being put together, but if that's how you're using it then 'together' isn't needed.

You could refer to a group of children being collected together, meaning all picked up at the same time. Or talk about people in church saying the collect together. Or if you're keen on stamps and stickers you could order the latter by post and therefore collect both together.
  • This was the sentence:

Mum collected together a bag of goodies for Grandma and off we set.
  • I'd have avoided the confusion by saying assembled or gathered, or put together. If you're not sure of it already, you'll b=never be happy with it!
  • Hmmm, so only use 'together' with 'put'?
  • You don't really collect a bag of goodies - you collect the goodies to put into the bag.

So put together would be better anyway, IMO.
    Or collected a bagful of goodies.
  • heather, you've done it again!

Eureka!
  • It doesn't matter how many times I look at something, I get blind to what's outside the box.
  • Mum collected a bag of goodies - implies, from somewhere else.
    Mum collected a bagful of goodies - implies the same, but could mean she collected the contents from various sources.
    Mum gathered together a bagful of goodies - implies she sourced the items that went into a bag. As heather said, she didn't gather the bag.
  • Oh, yes, Mrs Bear. I like that last one.

Sorry, heather, you've been trumped!
  • It doesn't matter how many times I look at something, I get blind to what's outside the box.
    Don't we all!

• Thanks, everyone.
    As usual, you led me to the correct solution.

What stars!

(*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)
  • Sorry, heather, you've been trumped!
    I prefer to think of it as teamwork!

• And what a team :)>-
  • Absolutely! I was just goading you, naughty Nell that I am.
  • Nello's you are a little tinker.
  • It doesn't matter how many times I look at something,
    The more we look the more confused we get it seems. Often if we just write it, it's fine. Then we start thinking and doubting.

• I was editing a story today and I changed one line dozens of times until I was happy with it.
    Then I checked and it was the same as my original version.
  • If I'm not happy with a line or phrase after three tries I delete it. That usually solves the problem.
  • I've done that a few times, Heather :) Sometimes the first way is the right way, but you have to try other roads to get back to the right one.
  • Oh, yes, Mrs Bear. I like that last one.

Sorry, heather, you've been trumped!
    'Nelly the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus, Off she went with a trumpety trump. Trump, trump, trump.
    (Well, someone had to.)
  • The head of the herd was calling far, far away . . .
  • They met one night in the silver light on the road to Mandalay...
  • Where the flying fishes play and the sun comes up like thunder . . .
  • This was the sentence:

Mum collected together a bag of goodies for Grandma and off we set.
    I would have written "put together".

• Where the flying fishes play and the sun comes up like thunder . . .
    ...out of China 'cross the bay

My dad used to launch into that song just because he could, with no prompting whatsoever. Actually, he used to launch into song at any time at all, just for the joy of it.

• Mrs Bear - your dad sounds like a lovely man.

And while I was asking the OH if he knew the next bit, I remembered that Rudyard Kipling wrote 'the dawn comes up like thunder".

My daughter then got out her I-phone and looked it up and recited the whole song- the wonders of modern technology!
  • As a result of this thread, I went to physio singing The Road to Mandalay to Mr Bear in the car. He got his revenge on the way home, and I can confirm for posterity that there is a more annoying song to have stuck in your head than that one. And the winner is (people of a nervous disposition, look away now): Gilbert O'Sullivan's Ooh Wackado Wackaday.
  • Lizy, he was. A man of the Yorkshire persuasion, larger than life, and frequently louder, especially as his hearing deteriorated. One of a kind.
  • I've had 'I'm Mandy, Fly Me' in my head for days now. Don't know why.
    Never mind flying, it's driving me up the wall!