Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Adobe reader

edited August 2014 in Writing
I have four Adobe programmes taking up space on my computer.
I know they read PDF files but do I need them all?

Adobe Flash Player 14 ActiveX = 6MB
Adobe Flash Player 14 Plugin = 6MB
Adobe Reader 9.5.5.MUI = a massive 658MB
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5 = 30.7MB

Can I get rid of any of them?

Comments

• :-B

Carol's gone out.
  • edited August 2014
    Is she the only one who knows?

I suppose as they've been on my computer this long they can wait a bit longer.

*taps foot and drums fingers on desk*
  • Is she the only one who knows?

Probably not. I think there are several other computer whizzes... Bored Robots, OnLineGenie, Neph... ?
  • Adobe reader is for ebooks.

Flash Player and Plug in, my security systems tells me they need to be up to date- they are involved in the page display and how some stuff works-videos, animation etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave
  • Only Adobe Reader reads PDFs, and there are newer versions than the one you have. I think mine is on version 11. It should alert you to updates when you run it.

The Flash and Shockwave programs are important for running media content on web pages. I wouldn't delete any of them; you'll only end up with websites asking you to reinstall them, and not showing video content, or you won't be able to use other interactive pages, etc.

By the way, Adobe are a big software company who do a lot more than develop the PDF Reader software. Author Mark Z Danielewski used their inDesign publishing software to write House of Leaves. They also do Photoshop, etc. Check out the Adobe website for more :)

In fact you can (or could) download an older version of their suite for free via the Adobe website, including Photoshop and inDesign. Still useful despite being outdated versions :)
  • What they said :)
  • Thanks to two of our resident experts.

I shall leave all those in place.
  • Yes, much better. Likewise you need Java.
  • Yes, although Java can be a bugger. It left all its old versions on my PC instead of deleting them during updates, which was causing conflicts and therefore crashes.
  • If you delete them you'll soon find what you needed them for.
  • It's fine now and has been for months. But it wouldn't even recognise the latest update at one point, because of several older versions left in the operating system. It shouldn't do that. So I uninstalled Java completely (all files), rebooted, then re-downloaded the latest Java. It's had one update since then and this time it replaced the old system file like it should. There was probably a bug in the code of one of the earlier versions. Until I did this, Java's own website refused to verify its installation on my PC.
  • Java always tells me it's deleting the old version first.
    I hope it's not fibbing!