Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Fire insurance for your work

edited October 2014 in Writing
My 100 word story this week is about saving things from a house fire, and several people have said on my blog that they'd grab their laptop because all their work is on there.

This has made me consider copying all my work onto a memory stick each week and leaving it with my daughter, but there must be a more practical solution.

Comments?

Comments

• Get a smoke alarm.
  • You could try saving it to a cloud thingy. I tried and didn't get on with it all that well.

Or email folders of work to yourself. If you don't delete the email you should be able to retrieve them once you have a new computer up and running.
  • Get a smoke alarm.
    if you were out you wouldn't hear it. And your work would be smoke.

• I probably wouldn't hear it if I was in either. I'm a deaf bastard.
    *Need Plan B*
  • Try Dropbox
  • I save my work and my own writing in an email account used solely for that purpose - just email it off every time I finish for the day.

I can access it from any computer that's on the internet. Anywhere in the world.

Photos are on an external drive and on two other devices.

• As long as you are safe, and your family of course, I think that's all that matters.
  • I'd grab my box of memory sticks as I pick up my insulin and inhalers on the way out.
  • If you could see through the smoke.
  • I have my glasses and a head torch next to my bed. Whilst neither would necessarily save my life, not being able to see could delay my escape.
  • Yes, glasses are first priority if you're short-sighted.
  • Glasses big priority. But you cannot see through smoke, and a torch would make it worse as the light would be reflected back and glare at you. You need to have an escape route in your head, and an escape ladder if you cannot reach the front door (fire under stairs for instance). Hopefully the alarm would have alerted you b4 too much smoke.

My mum used to have everything dear to her in her handbag which went upstairs with her every night. I thought she was mad until we had a break in and my handbag was taken from the hall with all my cards in an a fave Cross pen. But I still leave it in the hall. Life is too short to worry al the time.
  • The torch isn't there in case of fire, Liz. If there was no power and I was on the top floor, I would need a torch.

If a burglar found your bag downstairs, the chances are they would make a run for it. Personally I'd rather that happen than they continued up the stairs.
  • I save my work and my own writing in an email account used solely for that purpose - just email it off every time I finish for the day.

I can access it from any computer that's on the internet. Anywhere in the world.

I think this is a brilliant idea.
    I had to open another email account ages ago for some reason, and I never use it. The perfect place to email my stuff.
    Thanks Baggy

=D>
  • Try Dropbox
    I use Dropbox too - then you can pick your work up from any PC with an internet connection. And you don't have to remember to email it anywhere, it all happens automatically.
  • Try Dropbox
    I use Dropbox too - then you can pick your work up from any PC with an internet connection. And you don't have to remember to email it anywhere, it all happens automatically.
    Another thing to learn! I haven't got round to working out Twitter yet. :(

• I haven't launched myself on Twitter yet either, Lizy. But that's probably a whole new discussion thread!

I think this is a brilliant idea.
    I had to open another email account ages ago for some reason, and I never use it. The perfect place to email my stuff.
    Thanks Baggy

=D>
    Unless you lose your email account to person who steals it, and then you cannot get into it again yourself. The one that stole Pete's info was so clever that Pete has not been able to regain control.

He has lost all mails and mail addresses from that account.

I wouldn't trust a mail account at all I'd send work to a cloud account (which are always backed up in about 4 places, no need to send it to more than one 'just in case', or put it in Dropbox, as suggested, in fact both. Or have a separate HD.

• Doesn't worry me, Liz. I have to delete all my clients' work once it's finalised. I am not allowed to store it once I've finished answering any queries.

I regularly clear out the account so there's nothing too much in there to worry about.

• Anyone interested? This was a tweet;

Writers & Artists ‏@Writers_Artists 51m51 minutes ago
    We’re looking for writers to blog for us during #NaNoWriMo this year – and we’re open for entries until midnight: http://bit.ly/1qhn8XI
  • Talking of fires - my duaghter had a fire this year when she left a candle burning and went out. The destruction - mainly smoke damage - was horrific and took them weeks to repair.
    We helped of course, but smoke is nasty horrible greasy stuff that won't all go despite numerous scrubbings.
    the thought of that kind of damage getting into a computer and therefore one's work . . .
  • Thanks Baggy. I've had my account stolen twice so I've just sent 80,000 words to 2 different email accounts.