Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

introducing myself

edited October 2014 in Writing
I am now retired I have time to do some of things I have always wanted to do. I have just started writing and belong to a U3A writing group. I have been looking at this forum for awhile and followed some of the links and picking up lots of tips. So I have written a little thank you for this

When I came upon Writer’s online – oh this looks fine
I might learn a thing or two, I have only just started writing
And not always so sure what to do.
I read the forum and you make me grin
I would not know where to begin.
I like the way you tease but you try to help and please.
Baggy Books with your good advice on grammar
If you asked me I would stammer
Tiny Nell what lovely children’s stories you tell.
The jumping frog Liz appears to be
Poems of animals she likes to write
Datco with his novel Love Btye
Many stories by Phots Moll
Does this writing take its emotional toll?
10x10 word fiction by Lizy expat
Claudia, Casey, Carol, and Heather on the forum you have sat
Snailmate, Mrs Bear and Stan2
How clever of all of you.
I have taken the courage to knock on your door
I have taken your advice, paid the fee and submitted my entry.

Tagged:

Comments

• Welcome Romey. Well done on the poem. Enjoy the forum.
  • Hello Romey, welcome. :)
  • Hello, Romney - and thank you very much for including me in your poem.

Writing doesn't take an emotional toll on me personally. Quite the opposite I think.
  • Hi Romney. Welcome to Talkback. Love the poem.
  • MJMMJM
    edited October 2014
    Greetings from another newbie. Loved the poem and your salute to the TB stalwarts, they're a great bunch. I wish you all the best in your writing :-B
  • Hehe, hello Romey, and welcome!
  • Hi Romey! Well, thank you for your introductory poem and welcome to TB. Let's hope you have set a precedent for forthcoming newbies who will also come bearing gifts!
  • Hello, Romey and welcome. Interested to see you're in a U3A writing group.
    I'm group leader of my local branch, and I think Toothlight leads the group on his patch.
  • Hi Romey - and thanks for mentioning me in dispatches!
    Good to see another pensioner joining us.

:-h
  • Hello Romey, thanks for the poem! Good to see you jumping in with both feet - it's best. I feel jolly honoured to be mentioned in despatches. We Bears are a shy and retiring lot and don't like to draw attention.... Actually, that's some other sort of Bear. Welcome!
  • Welcome Romey!
  • Lovely to have you join us Romey - grab a chair
  • Thank you for your warm welcome.
    I feel a fraud being here as I have only written a few short stories for the U3A writing group.
    The poem I entered in the competition was about my lack of ability as a writer!
  • We all have to start somewhere. :)
  • Thanks Heather
    I know - I am hoping to pick up lots of tips and hope to improve my writing
  • You're in the right place, Romey!

You haven't got long (until 31st Oct), but you could have a go at the One Word Challenge...
  • Hello, Romey and welcome. Interested to see you're in a U3A writing group.
    I'm group leader of my local branch, and I think Toothlight leads the group on his patch.
    The group I belong to is" Writing for pleasure". It does not seem as the good ones you run ( having read some of your previous comment s) as we don't get any real feedback, just comments like: nice story, etc.
    As new to group I do feel I can say much and all the others seem like the way its run. So I could be reading out a load of rubbish and they would all be too polite to say.
  • You're in the right place, Romey!

You haven't got long (until 31st Oct), but you could have a go at the One Word Challenge...
    I am throwing myself in the deep end. I am going to have a go.
  • Welcome, Romey.
  • edited October 2014
    Excessive politeness, niceness and fear of giving offence stop many writing groups being as useful as they could be, I suspect. I'm not suggesting being rude and upsetting people is better, but the odd honest remark when a story isn't working could really help the author.

Romney, I can see as a new member in your group you don't want to be too pushy, but could you ask for people to say if there's anything they didn't quite understand or which they think could be improved? Phrased that way, the others might feel able to say something. Of course you then need to be braced so you smile delightedly when they tell you what they didn't like.
  • I spoke our group leader (U3A) and she said the group is writing for pleasure and it doesn't matter if its good or bad, if the person gets pleasure from writing that is the group's aim. That is why she doesnt allow critique. So I think I might have to look for another group if I want feedback.
  • There might be one locally. If not you could consider an online group.
  • edited October 2014
    Our U3A group briefly toyed with the idea of changing its title from Creative Writing to Writing for Pleasure, as that's what most of us do. However, I actively encourage constructive criticism and have introduced a monthly comp, on the lines of the OWC, and conducted by email.The entries, author unidentified, are circulated to every member and judged anonymously, with the option of a short critique, which can be discretely passed on to the author.
    This year the group contains several talented and experienced newcomers, whose experience would probably be lost to the group if it was organised on 'vicars tea-party' lines.
  • I don't think any suggestions to change will go down well. All the other members have been going for a long time. We meet in someones house and the group is full, so might be a good idea to see if another group can be formed called Creative Writing - am I bold enough to do it?
  • Course you are!
  • Where are you based, Romey?

Someone here might know of a group local to you.
  • Where are you based, Romey?

Someone here might know of a group local to you.
    North East Essex, there is a group in Colchester and Harwich both
    about 30 minutes drive but they meet in the evenings and I am not so keen on driving around the lanes in the dark ( everybody's lights seem like they are on main beam)
  • North East Essex
    South East Essex here.

I've been thinking about joining a writing group myself, but haven't found anything local yet either.

Perhaps I should start one :)
  • North East Essex
    South East Essex here. And never the twain shall meet.

I've been thinking about joining a writing group myself, but haven't found anything local yet either. Hope you find something

Perhaps I should start one :)
  • How about a mid-East Essex group, and you can both join?
  • How about a mid-East Essex group, and you can both join?
    I was looking into groups last night Mrs B. I figured as I spend seven days a week in London and don't get home until after seven, I'd drop in on one here on my way home - if they'll take me in of course!
  • Timings and locations aren't an issue with online groups.
  • Is Essex the only way? ;;)
  • True PM, but you can't beat an old fashioned chin-wag and a cuppa with like-minded folks.
    Is Essex the only way? ;;)
    Yep.

Spray yourself orange and pop in for a pint sometime :)

• True PM, but you can't beat an old fashioned chin-wag and a cuppa with like-minded folks.
    I think there are advantages to both types of groups. 'Real life' ones are definitely more social and can be great fun and very encouraging.

Online feedback groups tend to focus more on the writing and less on the authors, which can make it easier to give and recieve criticism. Also there's more chance of actually finding a group of like minded people.

I do belong to a very friendly local group who help and encourage each other - but we have a poet, a horror writer, writer of children's books, a non fiction writer, writer of women's magazine stories, lady writing a fictionalised memoir etc. There's one full time writer, one lady who has never submitted anything anywhere and never will. It's good to mix with these different writers and I believe we do all gain from it - but not in the way that we would if we all wrote for similar markets or with similar aims.
  • There might be one locally. If not you could consider an online group.
    Does any-one belong to online group? I have looked at a couple but not sure. Any recommendations?

• http://chapterseventynine.com/forum/index.php

It's a bit quiet at the moment, but if you (or anyone else) put a story up on the short story board, I'll leave some feedback.

There are lots more though - some are listed on the useful website thread. As with any group, some will offer what you want and others won't. Try a few and stick with whichever suits you best.
  • http://chapterseventynine.com/forum/index.php

It's a bit quiet at the moment, but if you (or anyone else) put a story up on the short story board, I'll leave some feedback.
    Thanks Phots Moll
    I have now done that -look forward (I think) to your feedback.

There are lots more though - some are listed on the useful website thread. As with any group, some will offer what you want and others won't. Try a few and stick with whichever suits you best.