Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Unputdownable!!!!

LizLiz
edited December 2014 in Writing
I know there is a what I'm reading thread. But this is the unputdownable thread - for books you have REALLY enjoyed so much you simply don't want to go for a wee even though you're desperate.

Comments

• And into this bracket I put 'The Humans' by Matt Haig. Funny and fabulous.

The Girl with all the Gifts, by M R Carey. SO enjoying at the minute.

• Is that a puddle on the floor?! ;)
  • The Cowboy And The Cossack by Clair Huffaker Apolgies for any typing mistakes It's hard to type whilst still holding a book.
  • The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood has had me utterly gripped, so much so that I actually wished my commute was twice as long - I don't say that lightly.

I've also just got around to reading 'On Writing' by Stephen King. To read advice from someone so prolific is amazing. I read it in one sitting, I highly recommend it.
  • You read it in one sitting johnnywriter? Gawd, that's a thick book!
  • 'Twas a rare day off in an empty house Dora.

It's not particularly long though, at 300 odd pages.

Every aspiring writer should read it. His 'fifty bestsellers worth of wisdom' is superb. Dare I say, It has changed my outlook on writing - for the better hopefully.
  • I loved that, too.

Finished 'The Girl with all the Gifts' and it was excellent all the way to the end, quite a feat in a book like that.

What I can't understand is why it isn't with the horror or Sci Fi, instead of general fiction. And how did the publisher swing that with Waterstone's?
  • Dystopian fiction is becoming so popular, I'm surprised it doesn't have it's own shelf space, Liz.

Perhaps it's too "real" to be locked down with horror/sci-fi?
  • I'd put it along with John Wyndham-like books. Is he in Sci Fi or general fiction?
  • Obviously Sci-Fi/Horror.

Maybe retailers are latching onto this new wave of dystopian fiction fad, they're very mainstream now. They want them in peoples faces rather than on some dusty niche fiction shelf at the back of the shop?
  • The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favourites.

A couple of unputdownables: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury); The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman).
  • Also loved The Humans. And The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Also Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey - best sf I've read since Iain Banks, although totally different.
  • Loved Secret History, my daughter has her new one she is lending me when read so I'll post how good that is!
  • Oh blow! I wish I'd thought to take a look here a couple of days ago. The local nurses were flying back from their Christmas break and specifically phoned to ask me (wasn't that lovely?) if there were any books I wanted bought while they were in the city to bring back with them. And do you suppose I could think of any? I jumped online (not too heavily) to search Top 10 lists etc., but nothing jumped out at me so I had to give it a miss. Drats!
  • I can name a two books I find unputdownable from the top of my head.
    The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davis
    Stephen King's On Writing
    Give me time and I'm sure I can think up some more.
  • Just had 2 hours smiling. On train reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. Killer deadpan deeply quirky humour.
  • I recently finished The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert it had me turning pages far into the night. My neighbour gave it to me, she said it was different and it was. A single woman living in the 19th century - her interest in botany took over her life and she became a world authority. It took her far flung places in her quest.
  • Nothing highbrow, but, upon recommendation, I am reading The Tent, the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy. What an absolutely hilarious read. I have been crying with laughter! I've quickly reached the last chapter and don't want it to finish. I must find another of hers.
  • Is it a novel, Nell?
  • It's autobiographical, Liz - a true account of the disastrous family holidays in Wales and France of the Kennedy family. It was in the travel section of the library.
  • Would certainly agree with 'On Writing' by Stephen King.

• The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (my all time favourite I'm rereading again)
    Currently: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    The discovery of witches and the shadow of night by Deborah Harkness (I have the third one on it's way for a pre-publication review courtesy of lovereading)
    There are probably others but these are the ones that stand out for me (maybe The Mammy by Brendan O'Caroll, that didn't take me long to sail through)
  • edited February 2015
    'An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth' by Chris Hadfield.

Extraordinarily good and has probably my favourite opening line to a book ever.
  • What! Better than 'Last night I dreamed I was at Manderley again'?

Or, 'The first thing you learn when your dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.' (Another favourite.)
  • 'The windows of a spaceship casually frame miracles.'

It may be my 'inner 8 year old that still wants to be an astronaut' clouding my judgement though. :)
  • The book of life by Deborah Harkness, just can't stop reading it