Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've just been given a Kindle.

edited January 2015 in Writing
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not be online recently. I've been popping on for quick visits but I've not really had time to stay and chat. Uni has been hectic.

Back in 2014 I helped my friend record, edit and then present his radio play. I think I made a thread about it somewhere. Everything went off without a hitch and the night was enjoyed by all. Yesterday he sent me a parcel in the post to thank me for all the help. I thought it would be a book and in a way I was on the right lines. He gave me a kindle!

Of course I’m extremely grateful for this gift. I was given a mountain load (slight exaggeration) of books for Christmas and my birthday and I was wondering is there any way of putting books from paper onto the kindle or getting a free version of them? Any ideas? I’ve only had the kindle a couple of days and I’m still getting use to using it.

Wasn’t there a thread where we listed our work that’s available on kindle? Does anyone have a link to that?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Have you done the registering your kindle to you yet?
  • What a lovely gift - hope you enjoy using it.
  • A brilliant gift. Enjoy St.Force.
  • edited January 2015
    I wouldn't think you could get free kindle versions of the books you own, unless they happen to be free anyway. I would suggest reading the paper books as they are and loading your Kindle with new stuff! There are lots of free books you can get from Amazon, especially classics.
  • How lovely, St. F.

There might be a way to get free kindle books. When I was pricing my books on CreateSpace, an option came up where I could allow the buyer of a physical book of mine to receive either a free copy of the same book in a kindle edition, or else at a very cheap price, e.g. 99p.

On Amazon, there is an option to view the top 100 free books. Check there as something you already have might be listed.
  • Here's a freebie - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Drop-Drink-Patsy-Collins-ebook/dp/B009RX5MGS/ref=la_B004O08LRQ_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420472785&sr=1-2

The list of TBers kindle books is pinned at the top of the forum and called virtual bookshelf.
  • https://www.gutenberg.org/ is the place to go for out-of-copyright books free for the Kindle.
  • Have you done the registering your kindle to you yet?
    Yep, I've done that. I'm downloading all the books I can lay my hands on. I just got an email saying because I brought a book on a certain day I'm entitled to another free book. No complaints here.
    Here's a freebie - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Drop-Drink-Patsy-Collins-ebook/dp/B009RX5MGS/ref=la_B004O08LRQ_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420472785&sr=1-2

The list of TBers kindle books is pinned at the top of the forum and called virtual bookshelf.
    Perfect! Thanks.

Thanks for your help everyone? How many of you are Kindle owners?
  • I have three e-readers, all in the loft; they just don't smell right.
  • I have one. My husband bought it for me for Christmas two years ago (probably fed up with me taking a stack of books on every trip) At first I wasn't sure I'd like it as much as a proper book, but could see the advantage when travelling, but now I'm used to it, I use it at home too. I don't prefer it to a paper book, but if the story is any good, after a page or two I notice what I'm reading, not what I'm reading it on.
  • Yes, I have a kindle. It's been a bit neglected of late. I have stacks of stuff to read on it. I still prefer paper books.
  • The OH and I bought kindles a few years ago because they were more practical for our vagabond lifestyle. But these days neither of us bother with them - they've been packed away for ages as they never overcame our preference for paper books.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2015
    I'm thinking of getting one as the iPad is quite heavy to read from, and you can't do it in the garden unless under the tree.

I did download quite a lot of free books, but apart from the TB ones i haven't read a single one.

• I have quite a few books on my Kindle, but have only managed to read a limited number that way at the moment.
  • I have a Kindle and love it, but if I'm asked to review a book I usually ask for a paperback - just for a change. But with a Kindle it's easy to add bookmarks - which is useful for passages I want to refer to later. Otherwise I have to use a marker pen and make a note of the page. Darn it, I love 'em both.
  • Yes, I like both, the kindle is great for travelling and when you know you've got a long wait somewhere, but a book is better on the beach. :)
  • I have the Kindle app on my iPad. I have read several books in Ebook and kindle format.
  • Yes, I have a four-year old Kindle, still going strong. I prefer paper for books that have photographs in them (e.g. biographies and autobiographies) but for everything else I'm happy with the Kindle - I've got far too many books to be buying more!
  • I dug out one of my e-readers from the loft last night.

I'm going to give it a go for a month.

I do, however, feel like I've turned traitor on all those poor book-shop owners. If I don't get on with it I'll probably be having a splurge in my local bookshop by way of penance. If I do get on with it I'll probably be having a splurge in my local book-shop by way of penance.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2015
  • Double penance?
  • Yes, indeed, Stan.

Whilst I acknowledge the benefits of e-books, particularly access to self publishing, I feel for high street bookshops. In fact I feel for all independent high street businesses; It's all too common to see them shut down and become replaced by [yet more] pound shops.

• Agree with you, Johnnyw - much as I acknowledge its usefulness, I hate the way online technology seems to be striving to kill real shops.
  • I agree with that sentiment. The Kindle is a blessing in many ways. I have a few novels on there. Handy for travelling. What I mainly buy for it, though, are the digital-only SF&F magazines such as Apex.

But I still like real books. The Knickerbocker Classics complete collection of Grimm fairy tales that I just bought, for example, with excellent presentation and a sturdy slipcase.

Oh and I also like to be around real people once in a while, especially to see what they're buying :)
  • Real people? You mean... there are others out there who are not on TB... actual fleshy 'people'?

*shakes head in disbelief*
  • I'm rather more fleshy than I would like at the moment.
    (All that cheese I expect!)
  • edited January 2015
  • Realer than the ones in my head, TN!
  • I've a kindle and I use it to read material I want quickly and don't need to analyse in great detail.
    The world I currently inhabit- textual analysis for study guides- means that for close reading I make a photocopy of a physical book and get a set of highlighter pens out.
    I've just read RM Ballantyne's "The Coral Island" free on kindle as background to Golding's "Lord of the Flies". A ripping yarn, which also shows us how sensitivities and tastes change.
    If you let your children play with your kindle you can end up with an anarchic reading list. The OllyMurs quiz book, for instance.
  • "Lord of the Flies" made me feel sick as a teenager because of its message and the horror of it still makes me want to stamp on the book every time I see it. I still have it, but it is hidden behind other books, and i didn't encourage my children to read it.
  • It's worth keeping an eye on the kindle daily deals on amazon. Whenever you spot one of your paper books for 99p, grab it!

I'm sure you will love your kindle. They only last about 3 years unfortunately. I'm on my second but it's well worth it. I love carrying around all my favourite books in my handbag!
  • I love my Kindle, just haven't found a way of reading it in the bath yet....
  • Reading a Kindle in the bath is not a good idea. ;)
  • A tip Mum just told me was if you repeatedly look at a book in the store but don't buy it after a few days the book will get a discount. Fancy that.

Yes Polar Bear that's the downside to the Kindle. No reading in the bath unless you have a paper book. It might be difficult to read in the garden as well. I've found the adjust light for the screen setting but I've yet to try it outside. I don't fancy reading in the garden in this weather.
  • I have a basic Kindle and it's fine outside, even in bright sun.

"A tip Mum just told me was if you repeatedly look at a book in the store but don't buy it after a few days the book will get a discount. Fancy that."

It's a good marketing ploy because then you think you're getting a bargain - which in a way you are - and be more inclined to make a purchase in case the price goes back up.

• I have one of the earlier Kindles. Surely the best if you want to mainly read. The screen is great in bright light, easy on the eyes like paper, and there's a nice keyboard for searching or making notes. And a month-long battery life (if not connecting to wireless constantly). Free 3G on the model I have is a nice bonus.

I've just returned from a trip to Waterstones. Bought Lord of the Flies, thanks to this thread. Real people were there. A lot of them. It was good to see quite a long queue -- to see people are still buying old trees with ink on them.
  • Never read LOTF!
  • Bought Lord of the Flies, thanks to this thread.
    Me too, it's my new commute book. Bloody good it is too! :)

• What sort of a book store does that? urely not Waterstones, or Wh Smith? They wouldn't notice what you were looking at.
  • I think BB meant if you look at the Kindle version on Amazon.