Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Harper Lee, new novel to be published!

LizLiz
edited February 2015 in Writing
'Go set a Watchman.' I am SO excited... it was written before TKaM, but is a sequel in timeline.

Comments

• About Scout.

She lost the manuscript. Just found.
  • Yes, I've just been reading about that. How exciting!
  • Heard about it on the radio today. Looking forward to reading it.
  • Ditto cc. Love that her sister was practising law till she was 100. Made me wistful for the days when writers were allowed to be reclusive.
  • I think they still are, aren't they? Being reclusive is still something you can do as long as it is total and not a publicity stunt. There's def. a couple of authors that are.
  • I heard this today.

I am very excited!
  • I heard a book was to be published, but I hadn't realised it was written so long ago.
  • I'm going to the theatre in Glasgow on Thursday night to see To Kill a Mockingbird. Very excited about that and now I'll be able to read what happens next to Scout.
  • Amazing news - esp since she wrote this before Mockingbird. I'm very excited - but hope it will live up to my expectations!
  • According to reports, TKaM2 (Go set a Watchman) is as good as Mockingbird. It's seen through the eyes of Scout, now a young adult woman who returns to visit Atticus. As Claudia has said, Watchman was apparently written before Mockingbird and the flashbacks to her childhood so intrigued Harper Lee's editor she was asked to write the 'young' story - which was TKaM.
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/26190106/to-kill-a-mockingbird-2/
  • Very exciting news - can't wait to read it.
  • Heard it was going to be released as an ebook, unedited...
  • So glad it was found in her lifetime before anyone had the bright idea of writing a sequel. I've never been able to bring myself to read other writers' sequels to Gone with the Wind, Pride and Prejudice etc. Also looking forward to reading the recently discovered 18 page Neal Cassady letter. Kerouac called it 'the greatest piece of writing I ever saw'. He changed the style of On the Road because of it.
  • The only sequel written by a different author that I've tried was the Pride & Prejudice one: Escape to/from Pemberley (?). I didn't finish it. I thought there were some obvious 'gaffs' - like too much explanation about things in the home - stuff that Jane Austin didn't need to explain because she was writing in 'same time' not historical, so she wouldn't think that the reader would need to have the everyday stuff explained.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble... hope you get the gist of what I mean!
  • This interests me because I'm planning to bring my study guide on TKAM out on Amazon by the end of February- so I'm currently immersed in all things Mockingbird.

There's some speculation about why and how this "new" novel is coming out now; article in something called "the daily beast" has a take on it.

Here's a little quiz question for you TKAM fans-

Why do you think Mr Underwood has that surname??
  • This is a link to the article similar to the one alluded to by aeschylus.

http://jezebel.com/be-suspicious-of-the-new-harper-lee-novel-1683488258