Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Title suggestions for a book of poetry

edited February 2015 in Writing
I am not ready to do anything with my poems yet, but on the computer I have stored them as single entities as well as 'a book'. My working title is 'Serious Poems' (original!), but I'd like something enigmatic. Enigma?

I also have a small collection of poems which I am going to submit to a comp at some time, which I think will also need a title.

I know that TBers are brilliant at brainstorming, so if you have any suggestions which you'd be happy to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, folks!

Comments

• Is there a theme or is the collection fairly eclectic?
  • No theme, Johnny, but nothing that light-hearted! A bit of 'life and its harsh realities', nature/the elements, philosophical stuff. Yes, eclectic.
  • Small Verses by a Small Person?

:))

But in truth, unless I had read your poems I wouldn't dare to suggest a title.
  • That's the trouble. No one's read them. I'd just like a title that's a bit mysterious and ethereal, beautiful and magic.
  • Universe
    Fractures
    Perhaps just the number of poems?, i.e XIII, 13, Thirteen etc (might need a subtitle with it)

Tricky one.
  • edited February 2015
    Headlines

...hmm, no, reading the brief, that doesn't do it.
  • Rythm & rhyme,
    Timeless thoughts,
    Contemplation,
    Fractured reactions,
    Lost memories,
    Reflections of Reality
    Heart-torn
    Ethereal Musings
    Soul-searches

• Sorry that got posted without me finising - just a few quick thoughts....
  • I had the same problem and decided to use the title of one of the poems in the collection, 'Turning the map over'. Maybe you could do that?
    ( PS. my book of poems will be released soon!)
  • Would any of the poem titles work? Or maybe a line from one poem?

• I could use a title, but that wouldn't be my first choice. I'd prefer something all-encompassing.

I'm enjoying the brainstorm and have written down a few ideas.
  • All encompassing = bland. If it's an everything word, it could be an anything word. Definitely choose a phrase from a poem. The title catches interest, it's not blurb for what's inside, that goes on the back.
  • Ink of an eye
    Quill out
    Quill-I-Am :D
    In verse not vice versa
    Thoughtology
    Thoughtelegeous
    Metered Out
  • edited February 2015
    Diverse
    Tiny Nell Verses The World :)
    Thoughtology
    Love this one :)
  • You lot are great!

I think puns would misrepresent the tone of this collection. I've had a very, very quick flick through a few poems and picked out the odd word/phrase as suggested by Nefertari and Liz.

I don't know if these are any good as titles:

Conjuring marble into cloud
    The moon is a peephole
    Mangrove roots and sea-washed sand
    Crawling tide
    Dropped pebbles
    Beautiful poison
    Ochre waves

I also like several combinations from your suggestions, e.g.:
    Soul search
    Fractured soul/moon
  • I love Conjuring Marble Into Cloud... don't think you'll find that title already used. :D
  • I was looking at that list like it was a shelf of books in a shop...

I would pick out Conjuring Marble Into Cloud and Beautiful Poison. They would definitely make me want to dig deeper!
  • Conjuring Marble into Cloud gets my vote
  • Conjuring Marble into Cloud gets my vote too. Beautiful Poison sounds like the title of a novel.
  • I like Conjuring Marble into Cloud too.

The conjuring part could apply to a lot of poetry, I think and the second part suggests a range of ideas might be included.
  • It looks like that's got the vote then!

The more I think about it, the more I think it represents the idea that writing - essentially done in 2D - is actually creating a 3D world, except in this image it's in reverse. The real things (marble) become captured in words/concepts (clouds).

I'm babbling. I know what I mean!
  • Yep. I concur.
  • Oh yes - absolutely love Conjuring Marble into Cloud - very unusual and eye catching!
  • That's definitely a title that would pique me into picking it up and having a closer look.
  • I like this title too - and possibly 'peephole moon'
  • Thank you, everyone. That has really helped!

Job 2:
    To select one last poem for a collection of 25...
  • I like The Moon is a Peephole myself. Conjuring Marble into Clouds is a bit of a mouthful. Conjuring Clouds would be really nice.
  • Yes. I agree with that too, actually.
  • Just when I thought it was all done and dusted... :-B
  • I'm a Moon/Peephole person too.
  • I'll have to make a tally chart to see which one wins.
  • Don't forget to do a search on Amazon.
  • edited February 2015
    definitely Conjuring Clouds - Marble is a bit heavy - or Peephole.
  • Conjuring Clouds sounds good to me.
  • Nell, I like your title 'Dropped Pebbles'

which made me think of...

'Stepping Stones'

'Bold Stones'

'True Grit'

'Life's Boulders'