Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Play suggestions

edited February 2015 in Writing
My daughter is going to be directing the next MedSoc production at university and has to select the play within the next six weeks. She will need to purchase the rights and the script.

As yet, she has no idea of cast numbers, but thinks that the running time will be somewhere around two hours. Any genre (except musical) would be acceptable.

She is panicking about coming up with something so any suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks. [-O<

Comments

• Partly depends on male or female dominance of cast, I would think.

Two plays I've seen and liked (off the top of my head) are Ladies in Lavender (though cast may be too young?) and A Prayer for Owen Meany (which is also my second favourite book of all time). No idea about rights or how much they cost.
  • edited February 2015
    I think it should be something new. Are any TBers scriptwriters?
  • What about Jack? I know he's more on Facebook than here, but he might know of something or someone?
  • It's tricky. Some of those I've looked up have an all-female cast or a small cast of 3 - 6.
  • You do need to know what sort of a cast, really.

Or choose something with a small cast and a big number of chorus.

What about Poe? That's always fun.
  • Have a look at the Samuel French catalogue (it's been many years since I was involved in theatre, but they must have an on-line presence).
    Otherwise, Lou our playwright will probably see this thread in due course.
  • Why hello! May I recommend 'Never Mind the Butler' by Lou Treleaven, a superb farce with more than a passing resemblance to Downton Abbey with a dash of Carry On humour.

http://www.lazybeescripts.co.uk/Scripts/script.aspx?iSS=2264
  • You may indeed! I shall pass it on :)]
  • What's the running time, Lou?
  • One hour 20 approx but it has yet to have its world premiere!