Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Author talks - what makes a good one?

edited February 2015 in Writing
My publisher has asked me to come up with ideas for a talk. She is pitching for a slot at Lowdham Book Festival. Has anyone been to a good children's author talk or know of any I can watch online? I've never done anything like this before and am well out of my comfort zone. I'm pretty sure I can't stand there and talk entertainingly off the top of my head, so any ideas that are structured and interactive would be great. I'm aiming for the middle grade market, with adult crossover.

Comments

• Adult crossover? Hmmm. I think a good children's talk will engage any adults there.

I've been to loads as loads of my friends are children's authors... *racks brains*

Ummmm... Read an exciting bit out of the book.

I have an idea, put your request on Facebook, explaining what your book is (genre, age-group) and I'll tag my friends who write for that age group and have done loads of talks at litfests (Bath kidslitfest.)
  • Lowdham Book Festival is my nearest event, ana s.

A lot will depend on when the slot is.
  • http://www.lowdhambookfestival.co.uk/lowdham2014-web.pdf

If this link doesn't work go to the main page and you'll see a small box and you can still download the PDF of last year's programme.

(I still have the printed booklet version, and will be happy to send it to you if you prefer.) The info is the same as the PDF version anyway- it will give you some idea of what sort of times events go on, and it's a good example of the general style of events.

The final Saturday, when I'm there for the writers club stall, is a free day, very family friendly, they have tents specifically for the children's stuff.
  • I'm pretty sure I can't stand there and talk entertainingly off the top of my head, so any ideas that are structured and interactive would be great.
    I don't have personal experience of this, Ana - but you most definitely shouldn't try to do it without a structured plan that you can rehearse and refine so that you're fully confident on the day.

Well done and Good luck!
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2015
    i always write a talk, i find as i know the subject very well it's actually really easy to talk off the top of your head.

I read an article a while ago as to why some people manage to get through radio interviews with no 'ums' and ahs' and sound like they know what they are talking about. It's very simple - they do know what they are talking about and have done it many, many times. It's like an automatic reaction to a question, it rolls off the tongue.

So choose a passage, write a 'light' piece about what happens in the book, don't give the end, try and pique their interest, and then ask for questions.

Practise the talk several times, but not too much... otherwise it will sound stale to you and the audience.

And don't worry, the more relaxed you are the more relaxed your audience will be.
  • Ana - this has nothing to do with children's writing, and I don't even know if it will be helpful, but Stephen King always gives great talks. I'm only a few minutes into watching a recent one of his, which I'll paste a link to below, and I'm trying to get an impression of what makes a great talk. I suppose it helps being Stephen King and having his years of confidence, partly thanks to an appreciative (maybe obsessive) audience, but I think what I take from it so far is:

1) He acknowledges the crowd - thanks them;
    2) He uses anecdotes;
    2) There's a sense of humour, even if it's self-deprecating;
    3) He speaks as if he's talking to a group of friends. It's quite casual;
    4) And he isn't afraid to mess up. Like using the wrong word for something (in this case a female airport employee) and point out the fact he hasn't got a clue (again, the humour element).

Those are a few observations. I'm no expert on public speaking, having turned down an invitation to read with a former poet laureate (oh, how silly); and always coming out the other side of any speaking situation looking like a ripe tomatoe.

Anyway, he's always entertaining. Here's the one I'm now watching:

Do a search for more of his, including one-on-one conversations. And you'll probably find children's authors on Youtube, speaking at events.
  • Thanks everyone. Really useful advice there. I'll do all of the above, and Tristram it's good to know I'm not the only one who needs beta blockers at the thought of public speaking. I did a reading at a friend's book launch (he had used a quote from one of my books). I cringed at the recording, thought I sounded droney.
  • Make sure your restrictions on your posts aren't on so the authors can see it...