Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

PANCAKE RECIPE

edited February 2015 in Writing
SHROVE TUESDAY means pancakes. Don't buy a packet mix - make your own!
The amount of flour you use depends on how many people are queueing up, but at a rough guess 250grams of flour will need one egg. Double up if you have a large family!
1. Sift plain flour into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and make a hollow in the centre.
2. Tip a beaten egg into the hollow and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to stick to the spoon, then add milk a little at a time, beat...
See More
SHROVE TUESDAY means pancakes. Don't buy a packet mix - make your own!
The amount of flour you use depends on how many people are queueing up, but at a rough guess 250grams of flour will need one egg. Double up if you have a large family!
1. Sift plain flour into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and make a hollow in the centre.
2. Tip a beaten egg into the hollow and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to stick to the spoon, then add milk a little at a time, beating constantly, until all the flour is blended in and the batter is of coating consistency - ie: when you lift the spoon out it remains coated with batter.
3. Add a drizzle of corn or sunflower oil and leave the batter in the fridge till needed.
TO COOK
Heat a little oil in a pan until a drop of the batter cooks instantly, then pour in 2 tablespoonsful of batter, tilt to cover the pan and cook until there is no liquid visible.
Toss or turn the pancake over, cook the reverse quickly, then fold and tip onto a plate.
Eat immediately with a sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Cook another one.

Comments

• I don't have any flour or eggs. Possibly have the oil. I only like pancakes with lemon and a small amount of sugar. No lemon. Might have some sugar. I have some milk but I need for tomorrow's porridge.

I really ought to go shopping...
  • Bought supplies over the weekend- just hope there's some currants left for my pancakes. :)
  • But surely the point of making pancakes is to use things you already have, before Lent?
  • edited February 2015
    Sadly my bag of flour was got at by flour weevils- little black bugs that eat through paper and cardboard to get at flour and biscuits.

My new bag of flour is sealed in plastic...
  • Hah! The weevil's eggs are already in there.

Did you throw everything else out that was in your store cupboards?

You can kill them though if you put your flour in a plastic bag in the freezer for 4 days when you get it home.
  • edited February 2015
    Some yachting friends passed on a tip that they picked up in the Bahamas. If you put a few laurel leaves in the containers it deters weevils.
    For laurel read bay.
    Last year I had no weevils so it's worth a try, Carol.
  • Liz, the flour was on a shelf with tins. I cleared off a shelf at a time and swept the lingering bugs and flour away, and anything else it looked like they'd got into.
  • Just made the pancake batter, it's resting-one lot with soya milk, and the other batch cows milk. Any pancakes left over will go in the freezer...
  • But surely the point of making pancakes is to use things you already have, before Lent?
    That's right BB... so you'll be having a nice hearty sugared oil.
  • Any pancakes left over will go in the freezer...
    That solves the problem of what to do with the ones Hubs can't manage - I was wondering how to concoct half an egg's worth as I'm not allowed to have them this year (or at least not until after Easter)
    :((
  • Ideally you need to use them within a month, but they're okay for a couple of months.
    You just interleave them- greaseproof paper will do if you don't have the roll type stuff. Then in a freezer bag, seal, and then you can use them one at a time- if you have that many left.
  • I forgot. Everyone's out except me.

*gets out magnifying glass to look for weevil eggs*

Gross (or it would be if I found any!).
  • This is why I don't buy ingredients.
  • We have them with golden syrup and a squeeze of orange juice. Lemons were outre up north when curries were made by Vesta and ski yogurt was a suspicious novelty.
  • But you're a southerner now!
  • ...You just interleave them- greaseproof paper will do if you don't have the roll type stuff. Then in a freezer bag, seal, and then you can use them one at a time- if you have that many left.
    Nah, if you have many pancakes left, don't put greaseproof paper between them, pour melted chocolate between each layer and leave to cool and set. The resulting chocolate and pancake layered dessert should last you until the last mouthful.

• Amends shopping list - 1 large bar of chocolate.
    Lovely idea, cc.
  • Hope everyone enjoyed their pancakes. The OH gave up sugar last year and is remarkably inventive at concocting puds without the white stuff (or sweetener or honey). He made pancakes last night sweetened with puréed dates and they were delicious!