Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've made a website!

2»

Comments

• Nice website TN!

That quote Lizy mentioned does stick out a bit - from what you've said I assume it is a quote from someone else. (But not attributed?) If you don't want to ask permission to change it, could you choose a different quote?
  • Yes, it is a quote from a U.S. reviewer, heather. I do like it as it seems to be a good introduction to what follows. I think I'll change that word.

I've just found something that tells me about traffic - mostly from here and a bit from FB.

Can anyone suggest any keywords which I could put in to hide behind the scenes?
  • Love the website, TN.

I probably wouldn't have noticed the thing with the quote had it not been pointed out - 'who' does sound better though :)
  • I noticed it, but moved on to the tab issue.
  • I wasn't sure if you were meant to click on it to go somewhere, because it sort of seemed detached from everything- there was nothing to connect it to anything.
  • Mail her, call it a typo and ask if you can change it.
  • I've now got a slightly better address (if that's what you call it!):

http://helenlaycock.wix.com/helen-laycock-1

Apparently, it can take up to twelve weeks to show up on a Google search. I did find out however, that my name (or any keyword) should be mentioned an optimum number of times. The site works it out for you. I had fallen short by a long way with 12 uses. I had to use it between 21 and 80 times. I've now managed to get in 31 mentions (mostly behind the scenes).
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2015
    Are you sure they can't not helen.laycock.co.uk or .com? You want it to fit on a business card etc. .wix should not be on there at all.

Mine is just my name plus .com, it costs $29 a year. It is technically possible to have your name and any number of alternative simple addresses.
  • It says I am free to use my own domain if I upgrade first, Liz. To upgrade requires a regular monthly fee, so I'll stick with what I've got!
  • I noticed the THAT in the quote too. Didn't say anything as I realised it wasn't your error, but I agree it would be better if you could change it.
  • I love it TN!

Seems to have all the info you want to give out yet isn't too cluttered.

I smiled at the wording where you ask 'would you like to see your poem published' and add the note 'children only', lol.

You look very pretty in your pic, btw.
  • Aww, thanks, dora. That's very kind of you. x

Yes, I got permission to change the 'that' to 'who'. It's better.
  • Helen, do Wix host it for you, or do they just supply the template to build the site from?
  • This is how technologically challenged I am, PM. I don't know what hosting is! I have got the word 'wix' in the domain name, so I imagine that, yes, they host it. It's all free with everything I personally need. If I wanted to add more sophisticated things, then I could update and pay every month, but I have chosen to stick with the free, simple one instead as it does everything I want it to.
  • edited February 2015
    You could always grab a domain and use it on your marketing material and divert the traffic to your Wix site.
  • You and I sound about the same technological level, TN.

Baggy, if I used the divert (To go to my blog) would I need website hosting for my domain?
  • Website hosting is all to do with templates etc.

You wouldn't need to pay for hosting. But check with the provider, they may have restrictions. I use Fasthosts for my business website, but also use them for four domains that have no website attached - just diverts.
  • I'm just making a second one for my short story collections. It's much easier second time around.
  • Can't you just have a different page for them?
  • My first one is completely child-friendly, so I don't want to sully it with adult stuff. I wouldn't want children stumbling across anything disturbing!

I will, however, put a link on the adult one to the children's site.

I've already got lots of pages lined up on the second one (far too much to say), although the danger of having too many tabs is that they disappear off the right hand side and are denoted by ellipses.The whole tone is different on the adult one - on the welcome page, for example. It's for a different audience.

I don't think anyone would be interested in both sites, to be honest; it would be one or the other. Hence separate sites.
  • I might be too scared to look at that one. :(
  • Well, they're not THAT disturbing! No horror 8-X

Two of the short story collections are more psychological, that's all (and two of my friends did comment that I was 'twisted'... but that's by the by).

The other's not scary at all. Far from it. ~O)

I'll leave a link when it's done. The scaffolding's still up at the moment and I am wearing a yellow hard hat.
  • On Wordpress, getting a different address costs, but you can separate that from all the other costs, and only pay for what you are using - you can also import an address of your own, rather than choose one of the ones they give you. It's probably because they are quite a small beginner place at the moment, they might give you that option in time.

But what worried me is the possibility of a computer picking up that I had a website and buying my address themselves, and me being unable to use it when I wanted to.

So I have .co.uk in place on my website (that was done for me by my web guy) and .com on my blog/website.

Does anyone know if this is still a likelihood, or if that has stopped now that more addresses are available?
  • This is a quaint little website. I adore your poem entitled "Weird Beard" it made me smile, I must admit :)
  • Why, thank you, tir!
  • Love it - impressive - well done
  • Thank you, Betsie-Boo!
  • Just found the poem tearsinrain mentioned 'weird beard'. It made me smile too. Enjoyed it.
  • Thanks you, Wilts!

Here's my second website (for grown-up readers):
    http://helenlaycock.wix.com/fiction-in-a-flash

I've a feeling I've left that link somewhere else, so sorry if I have!
  • This is scary.
    My eleven-year-old grandson has just created a website using WIX.
    Apparently he and his friends are going to use it for gaming when they've got the youtube connected - or something like that, at least.

??????????????????????