Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Making up words

edited October 2015 in Writing
So we all use words, right? Existing words. How are we at making news ones up?
Tagged:

Comments

• For example, here's one of mine:
    "verbal selfie" = bio :-j
  • I've made some up accidentally.
  • We say 'Cash & Flash' instead of 'Pay & Display'.
  • I just meant typos. I've made up place names deliberately, to use as story locations. That's not quite the same though.
  • :)) "Cash & flash" is great, Tiny! Phots, yea, I guess not quite the same.
  • edited October 2015
    A friend of mine once get confused with escalating and snowballing and ended up saying things were Eskimoing.
  • Ooh I don't notice that I make them up very often but I do sometimes get things the wrong way round and it ends up as a made up one. I should keep more of a note of those things because some of these can end up lovely very individual expressions. I love the word 'Eskimoing'

I also have a few Cumbrian expressions that I am regularly learning aren't universally recognised.

• Robert (rabbie) Burns was a master at making words up so he could rhyme things - himmorous horbirous Houstie get outside horrible moosie - ( ok made most of that up) but it probably helped he was writing at a time when most people couldn't read or were ignorant - if someone asked him for example what a himmorous horbirous Houstie was he'd simply say - och it's an Old Scottish saying that means my bums sore.
  • My mum's always mixing words together cause she argues with herself over which to use. Can't think of one off the top of my head though.. it's so common.

I made up confuzzled years ago = confused and puzzled. Still use it. Then found it was in the urban dictionary. I know I've been using it for about 10 years or so though.
  • I know a lot of people that use confuzzled :P
  • Stealing my word :P
  • My daughter used to call pins and needles 'needles and pencils', and referred to a serviette as a 'flat'. The other one callled cucumbers 'pimpumbers'.
  • "ego phobia" = chronic fear of knowing the self
    "literiphany" = the moment when a great story idea strikes (aka middle of the night) :D I have these all the time.
  • Is 'fogbound flippitty flip flops' common, or is that one of ours?
  • Boffice
    Ditting-room
  • My younger siblings and I used to invent new words such as bow-elle instead of elbow, balconsea for a balcony overlooking the beach, smorhercate as a mix of smother and suffocate.
    I once misheard someone describing a drunk person as Pissed as a Parrot so even today I still say they're Cisco the Carrot.
  • We call breakfast 'breffters' as both our children called it.

Asked son what they had for dinner at friend's house - beans, fish fingers and muffles (waffles!).

BBC1 and BBC 2 when he was very, very young were called 'Baby see one and baby see two.
  • Liz, I think balconsea and smothercate could become real words! They're cool.
  • I just came across this:

'Hangry': A state of anger caused by a lack of food. May evoke negative change in emotional state.
  • Boglets - portable loo's.
    The first time I used or went to use one, should I say, I
    closed the door and walked away.
    After seeing that mess I was amazed they were still being used.
  • My daughter (3), provoked beyond all measure by her brother, struggled to express her immense rage. 'SOOPID CRAT DOG!' was the best she could do - but the venom.
  • LizLiz
    edited October 2015
    Do you use 'soopid' now, ana?

About the same age when I was complaining about something, Jem said 'was you disgustified'?

This is in my book of his sayings, along with the time I came in to find him watching the News, aged 4. 'This is vilent putrescence' he announced.
  • Oh, I wish I'd written down all the funny things my girls said. How lovely that you've done that, Liz.