Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

new law re digital stuff

edited October 2015 in Writing
As you may know there's a new law which gives consumers protection when they download stuff from the net, digital stuff etc. Now we all know there's some self published books out there which could do with a good edit (having said that I recently read a novel by a well known author with a big publishing co and found 2 major errors in it without even looking). My question is, if someone downloads a book with a lot of errors in it, would that person be able to claim their money back? Self publishers need to be even more aware of the importance of going through the book with 'a fine tooth comb' before offering it for sale. Of course this should be done anyway, we should take pride in our work particularly if we're offering it to the public. The question I suppose is - what constitutes good/bad or acceptable/unacceptable standards in a novel's content? The odd missing full stop may not be the end of the world, but bad punctuation and spelling etc throughout the book can make it difficult to read, let alone enjoy. (and apologies if I've got the apostrophe wrong in 'novel's'!!)

Comments

• Amazon will refund your money - I've claimed and received it.
  • edited October 2015
    Even before any new law people could easily ask for the price of an ebook to be refunded and Amazon would comply. There are concerns that some people read books and ask for refunds for no good reason, but there seems to be nothing the auhor can do about that.

I do agree that our work should be as error free as possible.
  • Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.