Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Names

edited November 2015 in Writing
Hi. I am new to the forum so apologies if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere. I am in the process of submitting work to various publications, but I would prefer to publish (should I be lucky enough to get that far) under a name other than my own. I am just wondering if anyone knows when the best time to request this is. At the moment I am considering adding a small note to the cover sheet of any submissions, but wanted to double check with some others who might be in the know, just in case this is considered bad etiquette. Any help or advice welcome.

Comments

• Is this to publishers of books or magazines?

I do know one thing - taking another name is a pain in the btm because your bank will only accept cheques in your real name now, because of money laundering etc. I have enough problems with the fact that I am known by my second name, not my first given name. Cheques to my second name have been a problem many times.

If your name is not unusual I'd keep your name - people just assume it's someone with the same name, not that you have written it, if it would be something you'd rather people didn't know about.

If you are still wanting to have a pseudonym, for a magazine I'd send the first page with for example 'Bailey Jones writing as Jim Jones'.

But for a book it won't matter for a VERY long time. It takes years for a book to get to having a cover with a name on designed.
  • Banks with allow you to have Joe Bloggs trading as Peter Something – so processing the money won't be a problem. A local author wrote about this in one of the writing magazines recently. If this is something you intend taking seriously, sort it out sooner rather than later – or at least be aware of what's needed. But if you're self-publishing and only using Amazon, they will just pay the royalties into the account you specify.
  • You can always put on the pseudonym and real name on the cover sheet.

• Using a pen name is very common. For a magazine, just say that's what you wish to do on the covering letter and for the by line put 'Fred Smith (the pen name of Joe Bloggs') or whatever. Sign letters in your real name and use that if you need to raise an invoice.

There shouldn't be a problem with the bank as you'll be paid in your real name.

If it's for a book, I'd wait until it was accepted and then raise the issue. The publishers might wish to suggest an alternative.
  • Thank you all for your help.

At the moment I am submitting to magazines and journals, but my writing is definitely something I am serious about and I would like to get these finer details right from the outset. Sooner rather than later as Baggy Books said.

All of the advice offered has been great, thanks again everyone. I feel like I have a clearer idea how to move forward now.

• Banks with allow you to have Joe Bloggs trading as Peter Something – so processing the money won't be a problem.
    You'd think, wouldn't you? They do know my name, and my name I'm known by, it's in the records, etc, but I've still had problems. It could be perhaps whoever wrote was with a different bank to mine which has been extremely awkward from the word go.

• I met a few successful writers at an awards ceremony earlier this year and they'd set themselves up as limited companies and got all their money paid to that entity instead of their own bank account - a way of paying much less tax I assume tho you need to be earning a lot to make it worthwhile - a problem we'd all love to have I'm sure.