Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do YOU fit your writing in?

edited December 2015 in Writing
Over the summer break from doing my degree I found I would revolve everyday around reading, writing and seeing my friends and girlfriend. I wrote a 85,000 word book I was that zoned in ! But now back at university, 9-5 everyday in the art studio, I find it extremely hard to come home and find time for writing after Iv'e done all my other things. It gets to 9 at night and I can barely keep my eyes open never mind sit down and write a thousand words. Iv'e considered waking up an hour earlier in the morning and jumping straight into it, but that would take a little extra kick of discipline.

So, to the point. Any suggestions? And how do you find time to fit it in?

Comments

• You have to make time.
    Which reminds me - again - that it's time I got my act together after moving house. Enough of the excuses and procrastination.
    Get on with it - both of us!
  • As and when I can, even if it's only half an hour.
    But you need to look at your schedule and see where you can grab these bursts.
  • Well... the last degree I did was a writing MA. I spent every single second on that. I can't imagine how I would have had creative energy for another project, in my case art besides the writing.

Creative energy is not limitless and can be exhausted. Personally I would concentrate on your degree, and write if you have the energy and time at the weekend.

Alternatively, what sort of creations are you involved in? Can you combine the two? Paint a scene from your book? Draught a sequence of events like a film storyboard? Illustrate or do a screenprint of one of your characters or a scene? Doing something for your book in another medium can be very helpful for the imagination.

Otherwise you'll just have to get up half an hour earlier.
  • I find it extremely hard to come home and find time for writing after Iv'e done all my other things. It gets to 9 at night
    Don't do the other things! There might be some which you have to do, but are they all more important than writing?
    Iv'e considered waking up an hour earlier in the morning and jumping straight into it, but that would take a little extra kick of discipline.
    If you're tired at 9, go to bed then and get up earlier.
  • edited December 2015
    @Liz, I like that idea, good use of creative imagery for painting!

@PhotsMoll, it's difficult to judge what is more important. My personal relationships are obviously more important on the large than writing, but writing is more important in a different way. Without writing I feel unfulfilled and without my loved ones I would feel equally as unfulfilled... I'm not saying that's the ultimate choice ahah, although it does sometimes seem that way in the heat of the moment !

I think what is in order is a boot up the arse! (pardon my french). But thanks all, I just needed a reminder, like everyone does sometimes; in order to create one must make them self by force. Sitting around thinking about it gets nothing done, except create self loath.
  • The minutes here and there throughout the day, jot down ideas. Half an hour at the end of the day, put them all into 300-500 words (whatever amount of words you can manage with matchsticks keeping your eyes open).