Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A sad day in the UK Publishing Industry

edited December 2015 in Writing
Got an email through this morning telling me that Robert Hale are closing their doors forever. Another fiction outlet lost for new writers.

Comments

• That's such a shame - especially for you, datco2014.

I'm not surprised, I checked their finances out a few months ago and they weren't in a good position then.

Hope this doesn't cause you a problem.
  • Apparently their list of books agreed to will be done by another company- don't know who or if that's definite.

Fingers crossed for you datco.

• That's a shame. Obviously it's not good for their writers, but the loss of a publisher is a bad thing for all writers and readers, I expect.
  • It was unlikely my next book would have been with them anyway but they gave a start to a lot of writers ( me included) and one of the dwindling number who accepted unagented submissions - as most of you know getting agent representation as an unknown writer is nigh on impossible- I had to get a book shortlisted for a international literary award before agents would even talk to me!! So it's one less route in and many other independent publishers will be in similar or worse circumstances due to the squeeze and domination of the big boys plus the changes in how we consume books I guess. They have sold their stock of current books onto another firm who will continue to make them available but all contracts cancelled so big blow for some writers.
  • If all contracts are cancelled then you need to check out your reversion of rights terms.
  • Oh dear, what a shame.