Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Requested partial - Getting hopes up (mistake)

edited December 2015 in Writing
Have been requested a partial from the second agent who has got back to me. Now I know that a writer is meant to go through horrible amounts of rejections before being accepted and it is a super rare occurrence that the 2nd agent reply will be accepted.

But guys, I'm only human and can't help but making myself expect good news and setting myself up for disappointment.

SOMEONE GIVE ME A REALITY CHECK! quiccckkkk! ahah

Comments

• Yay! That's really encouraging news. Just think happy thoughts!
  • Congratulations. That's a bit of progress you should be pleased with.

Of course you're getting your hopes up. Who wouldn't? If you send work out, there's no way of avoiding the possibility of disappointment, but there's the possibility of success too.
  • Fingers crossed for you. :)

Sadly rejection is part of our life and we have to get used to it.
  • That's great - many writers never even get a response, so to get a request is pretty spectacular. Actually, some writers aren't even brave enough to contact an agent, so it's something to be celebrated.

• edited December 2015
    Thanks guys!

Side note - without rejection, how could one fully appreciate acceptance. The contrasts are what make life, I suppose.

I'll keep you all updated!
  • How thrilling! Best of luck!
  • My work's been rejected so many times I now have the skin of a rhinoceros. It's only when they keep you waiting for months and months and then say 'No, thanks' that I'm aggrieved.

No reason you shouldn't feel good about this, John. And there's nothing wrong with getting your hopes up, as long as you temper your expectations.
  • Skip about for today: then file the whole matter under 'Hope' and get on with something else. Do not sit watching the e-mailbox - you'll go as mad as a writer that way.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2015
    Very good news - a success in its own right.
    I hope it goes further - if it doesn't then it is still further than a lot of people get (myself included!) and evidence that you are doing something right that someone else may also see.
  • Fabulous - fingers crossed for you!
  • Enjoy the high; no matter what happens next it's a validation and a confidence booster.
  • Brilliant news, and it's a success in its own right really. Fingers crossed for you.
  • What they said.
    Even an answer is a bonus, in my experience. Well done!
  • Great news, well done! :)
  • Great work. Well done. Now crack on with something else. Fingers crossed.