Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do I get people to ask me what book I want for Christmas?

edited December 2015 in Writing
...in a subtle way.

Comments

• You could ask them what book they want to open the subject.
  • Hmmm. If it's family and they always get me a present I'd just say, I know I'm difficult to buy for, would you like me to give you the name of the book I really long to get this Christmas?
  • I don't think you can be that subtle, as people might get the wrong end of the stick - think you don't like what you got last year from them, for example.
  • Leave 'Ana's Christmas Wish List' on the table.
  • My husband finds the books he wants in newspapers or magazines and then rings them in red, puts loads of asterisks by them and leaves the mag lying around at that page.
  • Just keep telling people you want a book for Christmas - eventually someone will give in and ask which one.
  • I take my OH to the bookshop and show him the ones I want, then while I go and look elsewhere he buys one of them. :D
  • I do get books i want, luckily, having a booky family, my daughter loves giving me one she has enjoyed, her boyfriend picks me delicious books, my son asks what I want, so does OH.

But if I'd ask for books i wanted every time I would have missed Lucia by EF Benson and various other really fabulous choices by OH.

AND - you can always take book presents back to Waterstones, they are quite happy to exchange. So if it's not the one you want...
  • Or you could ask for a book voucher...
  • I tell friends and family, 'I really don't want you to bother buying anything
    for me this year' ( the truth is I really mean it) and the come back -
    'Oh, you have to have a little something'
    and there's you opportunity, anna s...
    ;;)
  • I see C2 is the only subtle person here. I like your list idea TN, I'll clear the table (piles everything on the floor) and get my crayons out.
  • Yes, my list has been available for viewing for some time. It has book titles with author names on it.
  • Wow. I wonder if I put a Christmas list on my blog, whether my fans will fall over themselves to send me gifts?
  • Worth a try!
  • I have a list of books I want on my Amazon wish list which my children use to get me birthday presents etc throughout the year.
  • Subtlety is over-rated - just tell them!
  • Subtlety is over-rated - just tell them!
    Yep. Direct instruction works best!
  • I've just been asked without prompting so hello 'Collected Dorothy Parker.'
  • Someone has been stalking you on TB.