Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Online Agent Search

edited December 2015 in Writing
What's the best way to go about this?

gave up looking for an agent when I realised nobody would take me on from Tenerife, but now I'm back I'm going to give it another go.
BUT...
I can't read the small print in W&AYB so I'm not going to buy a new copy.
Spending hours peering at my laptop screen is bad too, so any suggestions about how to whittle down the initial search would help.

Comments

• WAYB do an online version, Lizy. Have you considered sending back to the agent who said you lived too far away?
  • There were several, MRs Bear, but it was six years ago and I didn't keep their individual remarks, only listed the refusals!
    I did contact the woman who signed me up initially, who was kind enough to reply saying she remembers me and my book- yay! - but isn't taking on any more authors. Might be true, might not.
    I'll look for the WAYB online. I think I should get my eyes re-tested now I'm back - I really am struggling to look at the screen for more than an hour.

Thanks Lou - I'll check them out too.
  • Have you thought about approaching indie publishers? They don't expect an author to have an agent, they will take you on if they believe the book will sell.
  • Hadn't thought of that, no. That's a whole new and unexplored world.
  • And don't forget the world of self-publishing. Whether a publisher takes you or not, you will still have the same marketing work to undertake.

You might, eventually, want to consider the Alliance of Independent Authors: http://allianceindependentauthors.org/?affid=2339

There's a few TBers who are members.