Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Covering letter help and guidelines - any help

edited January 2016 in Writing
Hey guys, I have the query letter done and sent to agents. But some require a covering letter. Not entirely sure what goes into it or how to structure. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    The general advice suggests 3 to 4 paragraphs. Careful. Queries and covering letters can be one and the same.

1. In simple terms, an intro, why your writing to them and what your hoping to place including the genre, and word count.
    2 & 3 The story - in a nutshell.
    4. You, any published achievements?

Yours sincerely, etc.
    Remember to keep it professional, this is all about business after all, think of it like a job application. You wouldn't crack a knock knock joke with your CV so don't do it with a sub.

If you search on Google you'll find more suitable suggestions for your particular MS, but here's one example: http://www.underdown.org/covlettr.htm
  • Careful. Queries and covering letters can be one and the same.
    Yes - just another name for the same thing, I think.
  • I see, thanks guys.

How about a synopsis? I've seen requirements for one to be around a page long. How to structure one of those, and what exactly goes into it?
  • John, do you mean that an agent has requested a query letter AND a covering letter?
  • No no. I got a wee bit mixed up! I meant Covering letter and synopsis. I realise now a covering letter and a query are one and the same thing? The synopsis is the thing I'm not too sure on now.
  • If you google 'writing a synopsis' you will find many examples - there might be one on that site I sent you the link to (before Christmas).
  • Thanks Baggy, I'll have a look!