Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

UK Authors Buying CreateSpace Author Copies - Avoid Import VAT

edited January 2016 in Writing
There is no VAT on books imported into UK but sometimes it gets charged in error - here's how to get the charge lifted: http://sally-jenkins.com/2016/01/04/ordering-createspace-author-copies-into-the-uk-beware-incorrect-vat/
It might save some of you some money.

Comments

• I buy mine via Amazon - just because it's faster. I get the royalty back and don't pay for delivery. I know others get theirs from Ingram Spark.
  • I've found buying direct from CS is cheaper than Amazon, even allowing for getting the royalty. But the frustrating thing is that it doesn't affect Amazon rankings.
    I don't know anything about Ingram Spark.
  • I'm surprised that the cost of postage from the USA doesn't wipe out any author discount offered. Please comment, Sally.
  • edited January 2016
    Here's a link:

https://www.createspace.com/Special/Help/Order/BookShippingRates.jsp

And if you buy your copies from Amazon, those sales are registered.

You do need to check your own royalty/cost figures, but buying from Amazon can be better. I'm not sure what Ingram Spark cost - but I know some TBers use them.

If you own your own ISBNs (haven't used the free ones from CS), you can use IS to POD your books. Stores, that won't usually stock self-published books, can order them from IS.
  • When I bought my own from Amazon, first I lowered the price to the minimum, and I bought enough that postage was free. I then put the price back up.I sold them for the usual price. Shame it didn't affect the ranking, I agree! You could pay a friend to buy in bulk on your behalf, I suppose.
  • edited January 2016
    That's how I do it. It means I don't have any stock kicking around and I know they will arrive promptly. If you buy them yourself, the sales contribute to your ranking. There's no need to involve a friend.
  • Oh! You live and learn.
  • I'm surprised that the cost of postage from the USA doesn't wipe out any author discount offered. Please comment, Sally.
    Here are the figures:
    I ordered 50 copies at $3.80 each = $190
    Shipping (expedited delivery i.e. the fastest option) = $78.49
    Total = $268.49.
    This is approximately £182.85. So each book has cost me £3.65.
    So I sell them at £5.50 (& make more royalty than my Amazon paperback sales). If it's an event related to a charity I still sell at £5.50 but donate £1 to charity, still leaving me with a small profit (well, not a profit at the moment because I'm still recouping the costs of a professional edit & cover design).
    The book has 238 pages.
    The paperback from Amazon is £6.95 and gives me £1.01 royalty.

Ordering fewer books means the relative shipping costs go up so it's not so cost effective. But my view is that I'm in this for the long haul & therefore don't mind carrying stock. Perhaps that view will change if I get lumbered with them all not selling (!) but that's the decision I've made.

• Thank you for that explanation, Sally. It's certainly given me food for thought.
  • I agree, and it surely demonstrates that we all need to treat our work as a business.