Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just a reminder

edited January 2016 in Writing
If you send messages to others on the forum, they can be seen by anyone. I've just clicked on a few names and I can see all the conversations they've had. Remember to delete them if you want them to remain private.

Comments

• Not if you PM them, surely?
  • It's only open messages that are added to someone's profile that are visible.
  • Well, I just went into my inbox to read a message. I clicked on the sender's name which took me to all their messages. I tried a few others and saw a few interchanges there too.

I cleared out my box, not that there was anything damning!
  • If I click on almost anyone's profile, I can see 'open' messages. These are added via the 'comment' field on the profile. I've just added one to your page. Anything within 'Send TN a Message' is private.
  • OK, well, not sure everyone realises that! I did see something which perhaps I shouldn't.
  • From the messages I've seen, I would agree.
  • It's like writing on someone's wall on Facebook, apparently, as opposed to sending them a message.
  • I discovered this months ago by doing what TN did.
    Until then I jad assumed they were like a PM on FB - not so!
  • It seems I can see stuff that individuals can't see on their own 'walls'.

Not sayin' I'm psychic or anything...
  • I can't see anything of anyone else's inbox - just stuff that is on the right hand side of the page. If anyone can see anything of mine can you let me know - unless of course you're supposed to be able to see it because it was sent to you!!
  • I can just see a message from Lizy to you admiring your poem.
  • I can see that.
  • The plot thickens!
  • I wonder if we can see the public messages, but the recipient can't. TN has told me of one for me that I can't see.

When we click on our own profiles the page is different to the one we see when we look at someone else's. That might be the issue.
  • Is there anything on mine?

*quakes*
  • A message from me saying 'this isn't a private message' and one from Stan.
  • I can't see that!
  • Yes, that's what I can see too.
    I just sent TN a message from the 'send TN a message link' on her page - I hope that is a private one that she can see but no one else.
  • How did you send yours baggy?
  • Message received and understood, heather.

Over.
  • Roger that. Replied. Over.
  • Just looked on baggy's page and there was a comment on the right hand side, that I replied to with another comment. I can see both of those on baggy's page - can you see them baggy?
  • I can see all of those with baggy on the general 'activity' button above, or on baggy's page.
  • Got to go now - will revert later.
  • I didn't 'send' the message, I just added a comment.

• edited January 2016
    It's a bit nuts that you can't see and, if necessary, control what others can see on your own page!

*wonders if there are any public comments on my page that everyone but me can see!*
  • There's three - from Lizy, Neil and Malcolm.
  • I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. Although I've noticed these 'public' comments, I have never seen any that were embarrassing.

If anyone wants to contact me they can find my email, website, Facebook and Twitter details very easily. I think those platforms just about provide me with enough coverage. If those fail, I'm never too far away from the Scoff thread...
  • Are there any on mine?
  • A poem Lizy sent to you in June, another brief comment from Lizy and one from Rita earlier.

I'm not really concerned that someone might see something I wrote that wasn't intended for them - I would actually be more concerned that someone might post a comment to me, thinking I would see it, and then thinking me rude for not responding.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2016
    Oh! I can't see Rita's comment! Or the others actually... Liz sent me a poem! Gordon Bennet!
  • 'I would actually be more concerned that someone might post a comment to me, thinking I would see it, and then thinking me rude for not responding.'

I'd feel the same, heather.
  • Well, I went back in the Activity log as that posts everything, and could see the poem - luckily Liz also sent it by mail so I did get it and it was used, as were all the wonderful poems sent to me.

How strange we can't see these 'public' message except on the log!

Unless we did see them once, deleted them, but they still show up on the log? No - cos you said they show up on the page.

Hmmm - Webbo?
  • Where do you send your messages from?

I go to inbox at the top, and this takes me to my existing messages. I create new PM's and answer there.

Alternatively:

If you click a person's name it takes you to a different page and on the right hand side there can be messages shown, and it also says when you've changed your profile picture.

I know Webbo explained this before- the last time the subject was raised- about 18-24 months ago I think.
  • I can see quite a few personal messages to you, Carol, just by clicking on your name.
  • TN has told me what she can see on mine and they are messages I have received, but not all of them- now new words messages from the OWC.

I'll delete the messages TN has told me she can see, then we can check again to see if any more appear. If they don't then that suggests it's the way the message is done.
  • Just gone through and deleted all but this month's OWC word...

It was interesting to see that TN could see messages I received from early 2014, but I could only access messages back to June 2014.
  • What did Rita say? Since it's public anyway... or can someone message me?
  • "Hi Liz I am retired and live on the north west coast of England with my husband. I tend to concentrate on short stories and have recently published a collection that I am selling for charity. They are a mixed genre but I do enjoy writing fantasy. Please tell me about yourself."
  • I wonder why i've never seen that?
  • edited January 2016
    I liked the old system.
  • C2C2
    edited January 2016
    When viewing others messages, to each other, there
    is also a comment box beneath the 'private' messages which you can
    click on and leave an additional message (just as you can in the activity section) I haven't been that bold
    to do so, to see if it would interrupt the conversation, but I feel this should not be allowed if a message is private it should remain that way. Wires have been crossed some where.
  • I liked the old system.
    I liked my old whispers too! But they've all gone now.

• Oh yes, the whispers! I'd forgotten about them.
  • It's too early for this :yawn:

And no one PM's me anyway! I will be clicking on profiles now (mine included) to see what you are all on about!