Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Approaching agents: how many?

edited January 2016 in Writing
Morning all! I'm researching more agents in the WAYB and getting my submissions ready (for children's stories) and I'm wondering whether it's advisable to approach just a few agents at a time, or to continue working my way through my (quite long) short list? My MS's are picture book texts, so they're not very long and the other rejections I'd had so far came back quite quickly.

Also, is it best to hold off until Feb? I've read that this time of year agents get swamped as every wannabe writer dusts off their work and fires it off to agents!

Any thoughts or tips most welcome please :)

Comments

• Hi Karen. I'd say one at a time is best. And I wouldn't worry about holding off as you will be joining a queue so you might as well get in the line! Good luck. Are you trying Julia Churchill at AM Heath? She's always been very supportive of picture books.
  • I did try her Lou, a big fat no from there :(
  • Just one more question... some agencies only allow you to upload one MS. I have a few that I'd like to show. How do I send them all without appearing like a pest?! Leave a break of a few weeks between submitting other MS's maybe?
  • I'd leave it at one then - unless the agent specifies that they are happy to look at a few picture books at once, in which case put them all in the same document.
  • Send one, make sure it's the best, but mention in your covering letter that you have others and more on the way.