Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Once the writing is taken serious

edited January 2016 in Writing
I've found that, in my life, everything I've taken serious becomes mundane; the passion ceases and the love is lost. Much the same as writing. It was the only pure thing in my life (personal relationships aside) and once I began taking it serious, the magic was lost.

Anyone else found this happens? Only started taking it serious after my first novel, and decided to try and get it published. The stress of trying to get the first published has created over-analysing of the sequel and has slightly torn it apart.

Comments

• It happened, is happening, to me.
    Hemingway said: "There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly; sometimes it’s like drilling rock and blasting it out with charges."
    But: I’m happy when I have written.
  • Robert Waller, in The Bridges of Madison County 'Analysis destroys wholes. Some things, magic things, are meant to stay whole. If you look at their pieces they go away.'

I get that. I tend to write and edit by instinct. Also, if I become conscious of the writer's technique when reading then something is lost.

If you are hoping to publish you need to be self-critical and willing to edit. It can be a creative and satisfying process. Like Bill says it's also sometimes a grind. If it's taking away your enjoyment perhaps you should focus less on publishing while you regain your spontaneity.
  • The Bridges of Madison County

I hope you enjoyed it, Anna. Think I will read it again. Clint Eastwood was very brave to make such an 'old fashioned' film. Best thing he has done.

• I never write with the thought of publishing in mind, you must write for the joy and passion, involve yourself in the book you are writing as if you are actual there. I find that way you get more engrossed which helps the story flow. I know not everyone can do this but try switching between novels. In other-words write the book then worry about getting it published. After all once you have finished your novel you have already achieved a great feat in itself.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2016
    If it falls apart when you take it seriously I think that is a sign that it isn't what you truly want to do.

I went to art college to do a foundation course - all my life I have drawn, drawn, drawn... and read. But (it sounds mad) I find drawing easy, and knew/know deep down, that I am no artist. Just being able to draw, just being able to write, does not mean you will be able to produce something worthy.

It took me many years to realise the thing I love is writing and the excitement never palls. The more seriously I take it the more I love it. Obviously occasionally it's a hard slog.

I think if you are a writer of novels or of poetry, what you need is to have something to say. No adventure book or romance or poem is any good unless there is some sort of point to it.

Jane Austen wrote on themes which her novels unfolded during the telling.

I don't think just good against evil cuts it nowadays.

And if you are saying something I think you will find it easier to write, because it is something you want to say. If you are simply making up a story, that impetus isn't there.
  • As many have quoted in the past, if you find it hard or difficult to write one chapter think of the poor reader.
  • edited January 2016
    John, there are people who, once they have done a thing, have no desire to repeat it. They've met the challenge, so why do it again? The flame of inspiration has gone out.
    It's possible that you could find your impetus again by writing something completely different rather than a sequel: you can come back to that if you feel drawn to it. Writers often say that the sequel is the hardest thing to write, by the way.
    The publishing side may have turned what was a part of you, heart and soul, into a chore, and that's taken the pleasure and the gloss out of the whole experience. After all, when you have created something - like an artist with a picture, or a jeweller with a perfect item of silverwork - you've made a piece of magic: you've taken an idea out of the ether and transformed it into something tangible, and in this case readable. To have that reduced to commodity, to nuts and bolts, is to take that magic away.
    Don't over-analyse. Write the story down as it occurs to you, or write the plot out in full so that you can see where it takes you.
    Define 'taking seriously': it sounds like you are trying to shoe-horn your work into a place where it doesn't fit. What matters is that you believe in the characters and the situation and that they are real to you. If you don't, and they aren't, either a sequel isn't right for them - the novel was complete in itself - or you're fatigued with that subject and need a change of focus.
  • Like you Liz I also loved art, I even won an award for it but in my case I had to give it up due to a severe hand injury. I have only discovered writing in the last few years and only regret I did not discover writing 20 years ago. On a good note, my latest children's book was illustrated by me and I was please to think they were good enough to be published.
  • Thanks for the feed back guys!

Like some of you have said there are lows in the process of writing, but those lows only create an inevitable contrast that makes the highs that much higher.

I've been in the field of sports, public services, retail slavery and even an electrician. Even now I'm in my final year of an Fine Art degree. None of those fulfilled me like writing does, I find the emotional connection that happens during writing is much stronger than that of painting or anything else I've experienced.

Just like anything in life there are lows, but depending on how one gets out of those lows and how they emerge, will say a lot about whether they should continue or not.

I don't mind editing, or re-reading and I love writing the words. But I think you may all agree that the lengthy query process that is sprinkled with kisses of rejection can be quite tough.

With the sequel the, writing has improved as any craft does with time and dedication. But the niggling stress of the querying process for the first is a tiny bit distracting!

Sorry for rambling, guys. I love this forum because I can vent frustrations that my non-writer friends don't understand too well! haha
  • Sometimes I think I'll take it seriously but then my brain starts hurting so I quit. I do enjoy editing, however, because that can indefinitely delay the scary process of sticking it out there to be read

My attention span copes best with short banalities on Facebook.
  • In my opinion the problems don't start when you take yourself seriously as a writer but when others do.
  • My focus on writing and my focus on publication never seem to coincide within the same time frame. I just try to write the best I can and when it's finished, I decide what I might do with it.

I consider putting together a submission more of an admin job than an exercise in writing; I would tackle a synopsis completely separately as an exercise in itself.

So, I compartmentalise rather than juggle all the issues simultaneously. It's much easier that way.

I haven't subbed to publishers for aeons. I find it a faff rather than a stress.
  • The idea of sitting blissfully uninterrupted and dashing off a masterpiece is very different from the actual task itself of endlessly polishing a MS while (unsuccessfully) ignoring the inner critic telling you that what you're writing is rubbish (or is that just me?)!

I work best if I spend time daily on my design projects as well as writing. I find writing all day is mentally draining, as much as I love it, and it is then that I will end up making excuses not to do it. Maybe it could be the same with you and your other creative work? Find a balance between the two to keep you fresh, focused and wanting to make the time for it?