Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Advice on applying for MA

2»

Comments

• If it's what you really want don't give up. When I applied for teacher training I didn't get in the first time. Second time was the charm, just think an extra year of experience!
  • Sorry it's not better news. But lack of confidence is common among writers, so don't feel bad.

You did well enough to get to the interview stage, many won't have.
  • No for this year, but possibly yes for next year - you have a year to gain confidence so go out and do it! Now you know what you want. Stay positive - you can do it.
  • I'm still sulking like a sullen child but have begun picking up my toys and putting them back in my pram. I did get a short bit of feedback, saying they think I'm 'at an early stage of writing', that I 'lack confidence' and 'have not had experience of giving/receiving feedback on your work.' They recommend doing an Arvon course to gain some experience because they feel I'm not ready for an MA. Unfortunately disappearing for 5 days to indulge in a residential course isn't really an option this year as there's no-one to 'drop' my responsibilities onto plus annual leave is all booked up. I already go to a writers group. What else can I do? Struggling to see how I can make this work in my favour.
  • Well the OWC is a way of receiving feedback. But it is a difficult area to develop.

What do you do at the writers group?
  • OWC isn't feedback, believe me. Nor is a writers' group, unless you have an excellent tutor leading or people who are actually authors and can (and WILL!) crit well in the group.

If you had time to do the MA you should have time to do a week's course - with a bit of wangling, perhaps?

Or look round for another type of feedback/course, but it should be of the right kind, no point in going to a course where it's all adult stuff.

Have a look here - you can do it from home!

http://www.hotcourses.com/courses/uk/writing-for-children-courses/5830/
  • Great idea - a corresponce course could be just what you need!
  • This may be of interest - the writing from the current graduates in tasters inside the book published at the end of the course:

https://inklingsanthology.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/bsu-ma-wfyp-2016-for-screen.pdf
  • Liz you are a genius! Previous collections were passed around at the open day and I had been googling it thinking I had to buy one :)