Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The site not working correctly...

LizLiz
edited February 2016 in Writing
I did want to put 'not working right' as it rhymed, but it sounded incorrect.

Since we have changed to this pattern, quite often the site works very, very slowly. So slow it's boring and often i'm put off of using it.

It still gives more than one comment - i think this is to do with it being too slow.

It goes wrong with monotonous frequency - quite unlike any other site I use for writing or anything else - they all seem to be able to cope.

It's clunky - not as elegant as the last configuration - surely it should be an improvement?

Dear Webbo - is there any way that just the TB bit could be moved onto a platform that is easy and efficient to use? i'd even be happy with more advertising if it actually was a pleasure to enter.

Comments

• I suspect that there needs to be fine tuning yet, Liz.

The problem when maintenance is done is that it can lose the tweaks that have previously be done to resolve issues.

It's quite possible that work is going on in the background that reduces the capacity. Weekends tend to be the time lots of companies update their systems.

Yes there are times when things can be slow to load, so I just leave it a while, and it's usually okay when I come back to it.
  • But it's never ok! I'm not talking just about now. The whole thing is like using the internet 10 years ago, or with a cranky connection. Which I don't have. Fb and very other site works perfectly well with no interminable waiting, no doubling of comments, etc. etc.

It is not NORMAL to have to 'come back' to an internet page!
  • I agree Liz. And I am fed up with having to scroll down the previously read posts every time I open a thread to view a new post.
  • It has to be something to do with your computer, Liz, as most of the time the site functions perfectly well for me, loads okay and goes back to the main board okay.
    I agree Liz. And I am fed up with having to scroll down the previously read posts every time I open a thread to view a new post.
    That's been a long term issue. Webbo told us he can't do anything about it, because it's beyond his area and low down on the tech's priorities.
  • It has to be something to do with your computer, Liz, as most of the time the site functions perfectly well for me, loads okay and goes back to the main board okay.
    I agree Liz. And I am fed up with having to scroll down the previously read posts every time I open a thread to view a new post.
    That's been a long term issue. Webbo told us he can't do anything about it, because it's beyond his area and low down on the tech's priorities.
  • Not sure why that happened...
  • Hmm, well it is misbehaving this afternoon, but in general I don't find it anything like as bad Liz does.
    I find this one much easier to negotiate than some of the other writing forums I use so although it's not perfect, I really don't want to lose all my old posts like the last couple of times - and have to get used to yet another layout. (But maybe I'm in the minority.)
  • Yes.
    Just when I'm saying it's working okay, it starts doing completely the opposite. :-))
  • It was so slow earlier that I went into the kitchen, made a cup of tea and a sandwich, and the site still hadn't loaded when I came back. So I went onto Facebook with my question instead - I found Carol and TN there!
  • Lol. Yes, the double posting and then deletion of the one you haven't deleted is an ongoing issue. And it changes speed - sometimes it's brilliantly fast and then 10 minutes later takes, as Lizy mentions, long enough to go do a chore.

It's definitely not my computer, every other forum is hunky dory.
  • It does seem particularly dodgy this weekend.
  • You're right, Liz - no probs with other sites.
  • It's sooooo slow tonight.

Life is too short.
  • I know. I'm convinced it's why no-one stays around. Ennui. It can't be us. Surely?
  • During the day it's working, then after hours it slows down.
  • I think my last statement has been proven today...
  • i get slow service in the day, too though.
  • It's seems fine to me. It was okay earlier when I popped in.
  • It's doing funny things right now. It's playing with my mind.
  • Fine for me too
  • It's doing weird stuff - but fast!
  • The funny glue message thing at the top is still there.
  • I can't see that.
  • I see 'Dream Denim' up there.
  • It seems to go to the last post of a thread now.
    Can't tell if it's the last one I read or not as I've read them all!
    You can't tell which thread you're on though (I think it was at the top before)
    And when you go back to the list of threads you are at the bottom of that too, which is a bit weird.
    I expect we'll get used to it.
    It does seem quicker.
  • I've completely lost the thread.
  • It's not the thread you have to worry about - it's the needle.
  • We've released that fix that should sort display issues I think.
  • The 'middle' has got its own scroll bar now so that helps.
  • edited February 2016
    Have you checked the bottom of individual threads, Webbo?
    The Post Comment button keeps disappearing. I just replied on my horses thread and then the button disappeared just afterwards.

Maybe it's all in the management's AWP (Anti-Wittering Plan).

Edited to add, as soon as I posted this comment, the Post Comments button immediately vanished, meaning I could not add any more to the (scintillating) discussion.
  • It's there now...
  • Now it's half-there and is slipping behind the white border...

I can just about click it.
  • Still not working correctly on my iPad. The adverts are so that's okay!
  • Very, very slow and the circle of death goes round and round whenever I click on anything. The only way to sign out is to shut down the site, or wait and wait...
  • Yes, it's been bonkers slow today. I've looked in a couple of times and given up. See you in a day or two!
  • Yes, every thread is slow to load.

Suspect the techs are working again so have reduced capacity.
  • Still no better on my iPad. It's the longer threads that seem to be affected. I'm getting seriously fed up. Posting this on my mac.
  • Please post this on my complaint thread about 2 bars as I have flagged that for Weboo - though he hasn't answered any of the things on there yet.
  • Oh - maybe it has gone to Weboo instead of Webbo, which would explain all.
  • Still not working correctly on my iPad!!!! Fed up with not being able to read the latest post or access other pages on posts. Can't even post on some posts as the comment box is missing.
  • Wilts, have you flagged your post for Webbo? He may not know that you're still having issues.
  • I hadn't until your suggestion Claudia. Now tried but nothing happens apart from everything freezing and I can't do anything without reloading the site. Could you or anyone else please try to flag it for me? Thanks.
  • The flagging option no longer works, it freezes. I think I mentioned it last week on the Welcome thread I was bumping up. What will we do to the spammers if we can't flog them?
  • Great! This site just gets worse. So much for improvements!
  • I've flagged Wilts post and mentioned the lost flagging issue Baggy.

No idea why it's worked for me except I'm using an older PC.
  • The flagging option no longer works, it freezes. I think I mentioned it last week on the Welcome thread I was bumping up. What will we do to the spammers if we can't flog them?
    Hunt them down and shoot them?
  • It worked for me in that I could do it, Carol, on the other thread, but Webbo didn't get it. Perhaps another thread with Webbo's name on it, directing here with a big arrow?
  • Another thing - for the past while (even before the new look, but it's got worse, since), the thread 'freezes' in its tab, so I have to make a new one. Now every other site sits happily under its tab in my browser just waiting for me to go back. But TB freezes since its new incarnation, and sometimes it freezes even while I'm using it!