Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Nook Digital UK

edited March 2016 in Writing
I've had an email informing me that Nook is going to stop its ebooks (and newspapers, magazines, films) in the UK and those with accounts will have to 'migrate' to Sainsbury's by 15th March. It hasn't given details of how to do this yet. For readers, this is a nuisance, especially as not all books might be transferred (again no details of which or why). For writers it might mean the loss of a UK outlet as Sainsbury's might not offer as many self-published authors.

I always new I preferred proper printed books that you can hold in your hand.

Comments

• Yes, it's Barnes & Noble's version of Kindle, isn't it? I was reading the other day that they have abandoned making Nook tablets, but thought they were going to outsource the manufacturing to a thrid party. Sounds like they are casting it adrift altogether.

Seems to me that unless you are going to offer something radically different, there isn't a great deal of point in going after an exisiting market so heavily dominated by somewhere like Amazon (which isn't a good thing).

Proper books are nicer on the eye, but they are so bulky.
  • This happened with the Sony e-readers, they were handed over to WH Smith, who soon linked up with Kobo, and have happily continued that way since.
  • This Bookseller article says there will be further emails Kayess.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/nook-pulls-out-uk-323820
  • I've more or less given up using my Kindle. I prefer to stick with real books - no one can discontinue a book sitting in my bookcase!
  • I've more or less given up using my Kindle. I prefer to stick with real books - no one can discontinue a book sitting in my bookcase!
    Don't quite understand this -- do you mean that a book you've bought and downloaded onto your device has become unavailable?

Don't quite understand this -- do you mean that a book you've bought and downloaded onto your device has become unavailable?

Technically that can happen.

Although you pay for the book, and put it on your Kindle. you can't do anything else with it, and if there was an issue within an e-book- say a case of copyright infringement, in certain circumstances Kindle could remove that book from your device.

• My daughter was persuaded to buy a Nook a few years ago, only to discover she couldn't buy any ebooks for it from Tenerife. Sounds like she might as well bin it and start from scratch.