Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Grammarly Questions

edited March 2016 in Writing
One: should one say 'other's books' or 'others' books' when referring to multiple people?

Two; when is it correct to use 'myself'?
I only use it when I'm saying, for example, "I made it myself" but people are using it now when I would say 'me' such as in "He gave it to Don and myself".

Comments

• 1. others'

2. If you would't say 'He gave it to myself.' then I don't think you should say 'He gave it to Don and myself.'
  • edited March 2016
    Surely 2. should be Don and me.

Though I know there's times when the 'I' version could be relevant...
  • Surely 2. should be Don and me.
    I agree. I suspect people are confused over whether it should me me or I and think they can solve the problem by using another word altogether.
  • Now look, people - I blogged about this months ago!
    1: others' books - the books of others; other's books - the books of a singular 'other'
    2: I made it myself - correct. He gave it to Don and me. Take out the 'Don and' and it should make sense.
    While we're at it: He gave it to Don and I - wrong. He can't give it to I.
    Myself and Don went to the pictures - Myself can't go anywhere, so don't try it with Don.

wordsunderoneroof.wordpress.com - it's all there just waiting to be found!

• So, do Carol and I get a gold star?
  • So, do Carol and I get a gold star?

(*) (*)
  • Oooh - shiny! :D
  • (*) (*) (*)
    One each and one for Lizy for recognising the grammatical errors in the first place.
  • That posted twice all of its own accord. Consider yourselves doubly rewarded.
  • Thanks for clarifying question #1, Mrs Bear.

Is "the others' car' also correct when there's more than one other?
  • A car can only be owned by one person, I believe.

• It could refer to a family.

This is our car. That is the others' car.
  • Doesn't anyone ever walk?
  • Yes, 'the others' car is possible. Say you have a party travelling in convoy. Carol went with Lizy and Don, PM went with TN in the others' car' - being the car belonging to Mr and Mrs Bear, the other people in the party.
  • But what if it was in the context that one group of people were travelling in one car and another group in another - you'd refer... well, now, Mrs B got there first.
  • I always walk, except when I don't.
  • Doesn't anyone ever walk?
    Not if one of the cars is an Audi. Audi drivers never walk.

• They often can't drive either.
  • Just to let you know, I like to travel with car snacks.
  • Mr Bear likes that too, TN - you'll be catered for.
  • Oooh, a lovely day out.

Can I please just be offered one snack at a time, so I have time to eat it before we get there.
  • Well, of course, Patsy. One should never eat two snacks at once - not at all dainty.
  • *Spits out second snack into hand*
  • It depends on what constitutes a snack. One crisp or a packet? One toffee or a whole bag thereof? Two squares of chocolate or an entire bar?

NB - it's odd only to realise this late in life that constitute contains three Ts.
  • Three teas between all of us? Someone will have to go without.
  • I'm willing to drink wine instead, if that will help.
  • And I'll have coffee.
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2016
    I'll have a herbal Detox. there should be enough to go round. Oh, hang on, there's a T in detox... mint..oh, no... hmmm...
  • Chamomile?
  • I don't mind if I do.
  • Never mind all that. Where's the cake?
  • I fancy lemon drizzle. It's really weird now I'm slim as a slim thing, I seem to be able to eat cake no problem.
  • Carol's good at making that. She used to make it all the time when I first joined TB. I expect she has a spare in the freezer.

I quite fancy chocolate cake today.
  • How about tea cakes? As we're on the subject of tea.
    With Earl Grey, naturally.
  • Not for me, Lizy. I'd have to pick out the curranty things, or are they raisins? (I'd still have to pick them out)
  • It is just the weather for toasted teacakes with melted butter. And of course Earl Grey, Lizy.
    Lemon drizzle cake - well, you know, it's rude to refuse. Chocolate - a small piece, then, to be sociable. I'll supply the home-made gingernuts.
  • Earl grey? Bleugh!
  • *crooks finger*

I like it, dahling.
  • I loathe it,too. It tastes like washing up liquid to me.

Lots of my friends love it...
  • It's an afternoon tea, for that hour when you want something light and clean-tasting. Delicate biscuits go well with Earl Grey, but I'll force down a home-made gingernut.

English breakfast tea is just that - a strong, wake-you-up tea for mornings.
  • I like Eart Grey, but only in the summer in a garden.

There is no such thing as English breakfast tea! That's just a fancy name for ordinary, regular tea.
  • True - but there is also Yorkshire tea, and one must differentiate between Yorkshire and England.
  • Fair point.
  • The only tea I can drink is Earl Grey; no milk or sugar.
  • Then you shall go tot he ball, Kado (or in this case, a rather odd picnic).
  • She'll have to take a flask.
  • Mrs Bear, that wordpress article is fantastic. So informative and helpful, yet written in an understandable and friendly way. I've bookmarked it, and will be referring to it while editing.