Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do I quote on wordpress?

edited March 2016 in Writing
I want to quote from the NHS website, and I have a block quote button in use, but I don't know what to do now in order to show where I got it from. Anyone know? Do I just state that it is from their website, or do I do something else?

Many thanks,

Doglover

Comments

• Anyone? Because I have tried following the rules and the blockquote button, but it isn't working.
  • I haven't tried that yet.

Have you looked in their help section?
  • I've finally worked out what to do. For some reason when I previewed the page it wasn't working, but I think it was my Internet connection that meant it wasn't working. It seems to be working now. Thanks, Carol, for responding.
  • Is it OK to quote from other sites? I'm thinking of copyright issues. A link might be better.
  • edited March 2016
    Okay. I'll change it then. Thanks for the heads up. Although I did Google it and also looked at my blogging for dummies book, which suggested it.
  • Surely if they give the block quote option it must be okay to use it?
    That's what I thought. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I have deleted the blog entirely.
    Who is 'they'? If the site in question has deliberately added an option for people to quote them then yes, it would be reasonable to suppose it was fine to do that. If the option is something supplied then Wordpress then perhaps not.

I know that if it was something I'd written I wouldn't be happy for chunks to be quoted on another blog without being asked, but I'd be happy for them to link to my post.
  • There is something known as 'fair usage', which would allow you to précis the information given in your own words, using a quote say of a few sentences from the article to illustrate your point, and then you'd link to the article AND in this case, since the article will have been written from scientific published papers, you'd quote the paper references which have to be done in a certain way.

You should be very careful about precising medical information, though, and perhaps if the block quote was available on the NHS website, this is why? You have to be extremely careful to get the information absolutely correct and all information crucial to any decision to be made or conclusion drawn from the info, present.

Imo unless you are a medical professional talking about medical matters on a blog is unwise unless it's something very simple, like how to recognise a stroke, the points for which will be available for public use (without being edited, of course!).