Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Microsoft Word - Best option?

edited March 2016 in Writing
I was just wondering what software everyone uses for their writing? I use Microsoft Word (2010 I think) and I was wondering if there are better options out there?

Comments

• Word is absolutely fine, and most people swear by it. I use Scrivener, which is great, but takes some getting used to.
  • I have used Libre Office since migrating to Linux about four years ago. It does everything I want it to and I've never had any compatibility problems. OpenOffice is another very good alternative. Both these are free so it is easy to give them a try without committing yourself.
  • I really like Word, so will probably stick with it, but it's good to hear of other alternatives. I'll have a look at Scrivener and OpenOffice too. Thanks.
  • If you're into using cloud storage etc, then Google Docs is fantastic. You can keep your text files in Google Drive and access them from any device you've installed Docs and Drive on. When you're ready, you can download the files and save them as Word files to send on. So far, it seems to be able to do all the stuff a word processing programme ought to do. Means I don't have to mess about with memory sticks and moving the latest files around because it's all just 'there'. Plus it's all free.
  • I have to admit, I have no idea how the cloud storage works. I've always just used Word, although I am going to invest in a separate hard drive for storage, because I'd be devastated (and screwed!) if anything happened to my laptop and I lost my work. I've also been emailing myself an attachment of my work at the end of each writing session as a fail safe.
  • I agree with Karen. I love how Google Docs allows me to access my files and notes. I don't use it for work, but for my own writing it's great.
  • It's brilliant isn't it Baggy. And I can work offline, so if I take my laptop somewhere without wifi, the files stay saved and update themselves automatically when near wifi again. I also use Evernote for backing up big chunks of work now and then by copying and pasting into a new note.
  • I have used Google Docs, and it seems really easy and accessible. Will use it more on the Chromebook, once I've finished the current WIP.
  • I got a Chromebook for Christmas, I love it. My husband set me up on Google Docs with it, despite my initial scepticism. He now laughs at me now because I think it's totally brilliant!
  • I think my Chromebook is the best piece of kit I've ever invested in. It's so portable, goes for long periods without needing a charge, and is just fab.
  • The charge life is great, isn't it? Very impressed. I've bought it a carrying case so it can go on holiday with me.
  • I have a Windows 10 laptop. Would it be easy enough for me to set up?
  • You can download Dropbox for free, and it's really easy to use. You can have it on your phone too - whenever I take pics with my phone they are automatically sent to Dropbox and are available on my computer. Google has its own version, but it works the same way.
  • I have OneDrive, but can't save directly from Word to OneDrive, I have to drag files in manually, which is just a faff. I do have Dropbox, I didn't think of saving files on there, I'll take a look.
  • All you need to get started on the Google stuff is a Gmail email account. If you don't already have one, then you can set one up within minutes. You can then access or download Google Drive and Google Docs on android, Apple devices etc (a quick google tells me Windows should be fine too). Your files will all go to Drive and there you can access them from any device you have installed and logged into.

I promise I don't work for Google ;) Definitely worth a play with though and see how you get on.
  • I have a Gmail account. Two, actually. One for personal use, one just for writing. I'll have a play around, and see what I can do.

I have also just downloaded a trial version of Scrivener. It looks complicated, but it looks like it will be very useful once I work it all out.
  • I have a Gmail account. Two, actually. One for personal use, one just for writing. I'll have a play around, and see what I can do.

I have also just downloaded a trial version of Scrivener. It looks complicated, but it looks like it will be very useful once I work it all out.
  • Oh. Another version of the same thread. I use word for mac 2011, it is the most powerful tool available.

But if you only want to use it for writing, sounds like Google docs will work fine. Can you send people doc through mail etc with it?
  • Although - with Google's history of privacy and the predilection of its mail service to 'not be working', I'd hesitate to trust it.
  • I've only ever used Word for word processing and find it fine. I save everything to OneDrive, documents, photos, etc, so I can access them from any device (not that I need this very often, but it's useful if I'm away for a weekend - or in work shush!!! :D )
  • I can't figure OneDrive out! It doesn't appear possible to save from Word to OneDrive, and it seems such a faff, working out how to manually put my files in, and do that each time.

Yes, sorry Liz, for some reason, my post went up twice, and I couldn't figure out how to delete one.
  • And it's done it again....
  • C2C2
    edited March 2016
    Have a look if you have anything in your draft box. Usually if you delete the draft a double post will be deleted leaving just the one to be read in the thread.
  • edited March 2016
    As I write as part of a collaboration, we use Google Drive mostly - because of it's sharing options and that we can write at the same time as each other from different computers and see what each other writes. (Not to mention the fact it's saved online as a backup).

Then it all goes into Word for formatting and sending off to agents/publishers and for competitions.

From the Q&A I went to with three literary agents talking and answering our questions, I found out that most agencies accept PDF or Word docs but a Word one MUST exist as that's what they all use to edit (when it actually comes to that happening).
  • Ooh I'll try that C2, thank you.

That's handy to know Jediya, thank you. I think I'll stick with Word for now. I know my way around it, and I can backup on a separate drive for added security.
  • I can't figure OneDrive out! It doesn't appear possible to save from Word to OneDrive, and it seems such a faff, working out how to manually put my files in, and do that each time.
    I just select save to OneDrive each time I go to save a document, just the same as choosing a folder to save to, Shon. Ive just asked my husband what he did and he said he set up a Microsoft account and when he installed Office he requested OneDrive to be installed.

• I've recently got a trial of Scrivener, so I'm trying to figure that out for the mo. If I can do it, I'll write in there, save a copy to word and back up on a separate drive too. That should give enough protection against losing the work. Scrivener looks like it will be an excellent piece of software, when I can get it all worked out.
  • Shon, saw this and thought of you!
    http://blognowrimo.blogspot.fr/2015/10/ten-reasons-scrivener-rocks.html
    Simple terms and good graphics.
  • That's brilliant, thank you Mrs Bear!