Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How would you assign an age category to a children's book?

edited March 2016 in Writing
Just got this review from a U.S. reader:

'I really enjoyed this book! Full of suspense and adventure. I couldn't wait to read what happened next! I do think this book is a little too advanced for my kids, 9 and 11. I would actually say this book is more for ages 13 to 15, but that's just my opinion.'

I had allocated the book a rating of 8 - 12.

How do I know that I've got it right?

I would say that the main factors that make a book suitable for teens rather than primary-aged children are based on content (i.e. possibly more sexual, violent or emotionally challenging, or else using a complex concept) and language (i.e. advanced vocabulary or bad language).

Comments

• If you were getting those sort of comments from more than one person it might be something to look at, but it might just be that that reader's children are not ready for books at that age group yet.
  • How do you know you've got it right? By drawing on your experience as a teacher and a mother. I wouldn't worry.
  • I agree with your distinctions, though some books straddle the primary/secondary boundary.

I'm imagining an Amish-style family, gangly youth spelling out words painstakingly at the kitchen table.
  • That must be it, Ana! Ha ha!

Thanks, folks. I thought I'd got it right but sometimes a bit of doubt creeps in. You're right, Baggy, I think my instincts and experience should be trusted. And yes, Carol, this is the only time this has been said so I shall put it to the back of my mind.