Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Synopsis formatting!

edited March 2016 in Writing
Decided to cut my synopsis down to a page, because some agents I've seen require that. I can't seem to find much on synopsis formatting, and the information on the list below varies, so any info at all would be appreciated.

Line spacing?

Font?

Font size?

Word count? - I know it's around 400-600 words usually, but some say even up to 1000. I have both long and short versions of my synopsis, but I'm aware that depending on the size of them could potentially scare off the general, sensitive agent.

The trouble is, depending on all these factors, a 600 word synopsis could fit onto an a4 page and look okay (to me anyway). E.g single spaced, Times New Roman and font size 11.

Comments

• Synopsis is usually single line spacing.
  • I've recently been told that single spaced and readable font (sized 10-12) is fine for a synopsis. You can even narrow the margins slightly (especially the top and bottom) to give a bit more space. Also was told that they more go with 'a single page' over a word count (unless specified in submission guidelines).

Several agents I've had the opportunity to talk to over the last few months have said that the synopsis is the very last thing they look at and they tend not to 'penalise' authors for it. The most important thing to get right is the manuscript and the cover letter.
  • Especially the cover letter - some agents will discard on the basis of this alone. They haven't got all the time in the world - they simply can't read everything that's sent, or even every synopsis.
    It's like tasting a dish you've never had before: you try half a teaspoonful first, and then either pull a face and demand that the nasty thing be taken away, or you cautiously try a little more. Only if you decide on that basis that it's wonderful do you take a big spoon and dig into the rest.
    Get the letter right, first and foremost!
  • I've spent many hours wondering how to format a synopsis.

I've coped so far by ensuring that my novel is not sufficiently advanced to need one.
  • Agree with above - one page, single spaced or space and a half. Present tense, third person. Concentrate on the major plot twists. And don't worry too much - as long as it's short, legible and describes the story you'll be fine!
  • edited March 2016
    I'm terrible at writing synopsis's (can't even write the word properly) sometimes it's worth getting a third party to do it just because it's very difficult to get perspective when you're the author
  • I found one of the easiest ways to write a synopsis (or at least get the main bits down) was to create a 'novel navigator' in excel and to write a small summary of each chapter (with a column for characters and settings).

When it comes to the synopsis, we grab the small summaries and use them to get the order and main plot points down.

But when you hear straight from agents' mouths that this is the very last thing they read ("because it ruins the ending!") and is only there for them to check you know your main story arc. That and they have high profile clients who couldn't write synopses to save their lives... Definitely don't over-stress or think them. Cover letter and MS first and foremost.