Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Personal statement

edited March 2016 in Writing
Hi, I was hoping for some feedback about a query I have on writing a personal statement to support my MA application.

For the statement, they ask for your "aims, plans and aspirations as a writer, why you want to do the course, and also to discuss any writing you've done and are doing." What I want to know is, is it worth mentioning that I've been approaching agents, and after being unsuccessful have decided that I want to make my writing better (by doing the MA) before I try approaching them again? Or is it best not to mention the agent thing at all? By adding it in I wondered if it would make me look like I am really taking things seriously. Then I wondered whether it sounds like agents can't see any potential in me? The course has strong links with agents, although I don't think I've approached any listed in their prospectus.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Comments

• If you are wanting to go on a course to make your writing better, then by inference you are taking your writing seriously.

If they look at your writing and see it isn't ready yet, then perhaps you believing it is might be a reflection of your poor judgement? I haven't seen anything you have written, but this statement is very important, and saying you've sent it off to agents isn't important imo one way or the other - unless they ask you straight in the interview. I'd not mention it.

But I have no real idea if this would be a mistake or not! If you haven't been accepted, or at least received good feedback (have you?) then this is a question that answers itself. A good entry anywhere generally garners a response of some sort.

I WOULd say you are very keen to improve your writing to excellence so that your finished product is as good as it can be for your own satisfaction, and that the MA is part of that plan.
  • Also check the modules - one of them when we were on was a business one, which helped us to learn how best to approach agents and publishers, you could mention wanting to learn from this.
  • In fact study all the modules and think of reasons why they would be useful and mention them - any course likes to think they are doing what their students want and wants students who will enjoy and get benefit from the modules they are providing.
  • Thanks Liz. The modules listed in the course handbook are " Forms, ages and stages" which looks at readership, and "Contemporary children's publishing" which covers a professional look at the marketplace. I've gone through the course book with a fine tooth comb and highlighted areas to talk up in my PS.

I think I'll leave out the agent bit. The longer piece of work I'm submitting as part of the application hasn't been sent out before, I've written it specifically for the application. The other shorter piece I'm also including (rhyming picture book text) was sent out to four agents. I got two 'no' responses and two ignored me.
  • Forms, ages and stages I think is where you 'try out' writing for every age group to see if you can target your writing to the appropriate level.You learn about the needs of each group and structures, tone, etc. You could say you want to try out writing for various age groups to widen your repertoire (i'm sure you'll think of a better word!).

The marketplace module is very important and among other things gives you a realistic idea of just what you need to make it, and how to target your submissions successfully after they are of the right standard.