Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing about difficult subject matters

edited March 2016 in Writing
I was just wondering how you guys deal with writing things that are a little uncomfortable to talk/write about?

One of my main characters is very racist. I'm aware that his feelings are the feelings of one of my characters, not my own, but it makes me feel quite uncomfortable to write some of the things he wants to say - almost like I'll be judged for it, if that makes sense?

Another of my characters has been raped in the past, and that is going to need to be discussed at some point to make sense of another apart of the story, and I'm just not sure how to approach that either.

Does anybody else struggle with writing about certain things?

Comments

• Some scenes are harder to write than others. For the difficult ones I find it helps to build up in stages. You could start with 'he said racist stuff' so you can write the rest of the scene and then gradually add in his actual words.

You will be judged for what you write. People won't assume you're racist just because one character is - unless he's the hero and never comes to regret his actions.

Remember that some subjects will be as hard to read as they are to write.
  • Thanks Phots Moll. He isn't my hero, hes the antagonist, and karma comes to bite him in the ass. I think I'll try that tip though, building it up in stages.
  • He isn't my hero, hes the antagonist, and karma comes to bite him in the ass.
    That's fine then. Remember that as you write the scenes and make him well and truly deserve the bad stuff which happens to him.

• I find it very hard to kill people, especially if I like them. I have to build up to that.

Another thing that's hard to write is violence, which I hate personally but is sometimes necessary to my plot. If it makes me cringe when I read it later then I think I've probably got it right.
  • Yes, I can understand that. There is going to be a violent attack at the turning point of my novel. I know what needs to happen, but not a clue how I'm going to write it. Perhaps I should have chosen children's fiction for my first serious attempt!
  • Writers inhabit a strange world, Shon. We have to be able to create people who are the opposite of ourselves, and do it convincingly. Nobody is going to think you're a closet racist (or mass murderer, or drug addict, or whatever) because the character you portray is; if they're convinced by him in all his nastiness, you've done your job.
    It's like writing sex scenes: you've got to be the characters, making their moves - doesn't mean you do the same at home! Immerse yourself in the scene you're creating, and leave the real world behind. That's why we do what we do!

• Thank you Mrs Bear, sage advice, as always. I just need to get over myself and crack on with it. I'm sure when I've written the first few difficult scenes, I'll feel better about it, and know when to separate myself from my characters.
  • You never wholly separate from them until their story is finished, Shon, and even then it takes a while.
    Mrs Bear - I wish I had your gift for putting things so elegantly and succinctly :)
  • I don't think readers will think that you behave like your characters. I thought about when I read fiction - I don't consider the author when I'm engrossed in a story - the characters are all.
  • Yes, Betsie makes a good point here, Shon - we shouldn't think of the author at all if the story is well written, because we have suspended our disbelief and want to be totally immersed in the world of the novel, be it a violent or unfair one (and, hey, what's not to believe there?! :( )
  • Thank you all for your advice and comments. I've written a few practice chapters, detailing the difficult bits, and it hasn't been as bad as I feared. It's things that are needed for my story, and once I get immersed in the writing of it, I don't overthink it, and just write what comes. It's uncomfortable reading back over it, because it's just so 'not me', but it makes sense within the story, and that's what matters.
  • It's uncomfortable reading back over it, because it's just so 'not me',.
    That's what you want in this case, isn't it?
  • Yes, I should have added, that's kind of the point, so it's a good thing I guess.
  • I love it when friends read my stuff and are shocked that I could come up with material that they would never have expected of l'il old me.

Just do it. That is the point. You are creating a different world and you can't be self-conscious about it.
  • *stumbles in wearing only feather boa and stilettoes*

Yesh, read TN's lips - jush do it.

*exits*
  • One of my books shocked my friends so much I almost apologised! Even I wondered where such darkness had come from.
  • We're all acting parts in our work: just like any actor, we take on roles that are far from ourselves. The mind has mountains, no-man-fathomed (or woman-fathomed, for that matter).