Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Literary Fiction

2»

Comments

• As a case in point, Seaview clearly loved Human Croquet, whereas I thought it was terrible!
    Yes, Dan, it really is very subjective. I thought it might be interesting to look up Goodreads to see what sort of reviews it received.

Oh dear...

"I’d like to review this book for you, I really would. But I can’t, I just can’t. Why? Because I don’t have the first clue what this book was about. Not a clue"

and...

"The cleverness of the writing and the occasional insightful observation did not redeem this novel for me."

This person obviously enjoyed it for the writing style...

"And even after the disappointing ending, I just might read it again. Just for the experience of the prose."

And I find the comments of these two reviewers enlightening when they use terms like 'traditionalist' and 'stick-in-the-mud' as experimentalism is one the elements that separates literary fiction from other genres.

"While I expected time travel to play a more significant role in the book it seemed almost an afterthought . I usually don't enjoy that type of thing but this was fun. I did get somewhat frustrated by all the alternate realities in the final quarter of the book. The traditionalist in me wanted to know the "real" story, but that is Atkinson's point...that lies with the storyteller who "knows how it ends"."

"I usually hate postmodern stuff, so I was pleasantly surprised when the constant alternate realities didn't bother me. There's still that stick-in-the-mud part of me that would have preferred a more coherent story, but I didn't feel nearly as strongly about that as I usually do. I actually enjoyed reading the book a lot."

And this reviewer must have been on the same wave length as me on the day I finished it ...

"It's laughing-aloud funny, heartbreakingly sad, far-out fantastic, hard-core real, cruel and gentle and beautiful. The language alone is a treat, and the story carries you along, getting lost on all the paths and non-paths in the forest."
  • How did you review it, Seaview?
  • Yes... i know what you mean, but that isn't quite the same as writing that intrudes because it's clunky.
    It definitely isn't the same, Liz. I still remember with horror the simile used in the very first paragraph of Jo Nesbo's 'The Snowman' that described falling snow invading the countryside 'like a great(or giant?) armada from outer space' - ye gads! Needless to say, I didn't read the rest of the book. :)

I also admire Stephen King's style of writing (loved his non-fiction title, On Writing) but without liking horror/crime I probably wouldn't have tried one of his novels. I remember my husband reading one of his and then saying, "it was good. I just wish he wouldn't spend so long describing every item in a bathroom cabinet."
  • How did you review it, Seaview?
    Don't think I've ever reviewed a novel in my life, Baggy.

• edited March 2016
    I had forgotten I even read it until I saw this thread, Baggy! I just looked those reviews up for the purpose of demonstrating how differently people experience the same piece of writing. :)
  • Authors rely on reviews for so many reasons. Please consider reviewing any books you read. It does mean a lot.
  • I have never written a novel, Baggy, so have no experience of this and online reviewing didn't exist when I wrote for the trade press, but do they really make a difference to sales? Because, as Dan has stated above, it's all so subjective, I don't normally read reviews before selecting a book as I don't think anyone will have exactly the same taste as me.
  • I review every book I read. It helps the author get recognition and status, and only takes a few minutes - which is very little time compared to how long they spent writing the book.

I try not to regurgitate the plot, but to pick out other factors which were done well.
  • Reviews help with rankings. Even established authors will hope that readers will post reviews. Publishers and indie authors send out ARCs solely for reviews.
  • I love writing book reviews. I would hope that if I ever manage to get published, readers would review mine, so I always try to make sure I review books as soon as I've finished reading and have details fresh in my mind.
  • edited March 2016
    I review every book I read. It helps the author get recognition and status, and only takes a few minutes - which is very little time compared to how long they spent writing the book.

I try not to regurgitate the plot, but to pick out other factors which were done well.
    Ah, I see, TN. I have written a review of a poetry collection before but it took me significantly more than a few minutes! http://www.hsa-haiku.org/frogpond/2014-issue37-3/ReichholdsReviewedByClarke-37-3.pdf
  • Reviews help with rankings. Even established authors will hope that readers will post reviews. Publishers and indie authors send out ARCs solely for reviews.
    And where is this ranking, Baggy - online? Or do you mean in the press?
  • Oh my gosh, Seaview! That's an essay. Nothing like that is expected, just a few lines to a short paragraph.

Grade for Seaview's review: A*
  • I love writing book reviews. I would hope that if I ever manage to get published, readers would review mine, so I always try to make sure I review books as soon as I've finished reading and have details fresh in my mind.
    I'm terrible as I read about three different books at the same time, Shon, depending on my mood. Some I finish and others I don't. I should make a point of jotting down a few impressions when I've finished one though.
  • Oh my gosh, Seaview! That's an essay.
    :) :) :)

• edited March 2016
    Reviews help with rankings on Amazon, Seaview.

Here's a couple of links - they're not what I was looking for but they will be interest to anyone who has books on Amazon.

http://cooksplusbooks.com/2014/10/14/8-ways-to-boost-your-amazon-author-ranking/

Here's an excerpt:
    7. Ask happy readers to give 3+ starred reviews. The most common feature people use to narrow down Amazon results is to filter only books that receive 3-star reviews and higher; you don’t want to encourage dishonest or clearly-your-mom-type feedback, but good reviews from happy readers will make your title show up on more searches, which ties into the Top 100 lists.

And another link:
    http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2011/04/21/amazon-recommendation-algorithms/
  • My, this has been a fascinating thread to read!
    I understand why reviews are important to authors, but these days I avoid reviews of books I have read - or am thinking about reading, because despite my best efforts, they influence me and I prefer to make up my own mind - and keep it made up.
  • Nowt wrong with that, but adding a review without reading the others is still worthwhile.
  • Ah, but I wouldn't have the willpower not to take a sneaky peak, Baggy. :-B
  • edited March 2016
    In my opinion, lit. fic. is upper-class stuff, such as the Bloomsberries, wrote, and/or is about them.
  • And anything else is about the lower classes? That makes no sense.
  • Crumbs, there seems to be a lot of misinformation about literary fiction.
    I read quite a lot of what is designated 'literary fiction' and I would never call it 'upper class stuff'. I'm not a snob about what I like to read and I certainly don't think there's anything superior about liking certain authors just because they happen to be literary - I just like fabulous writing whatever the genre.
    To pluck just three authors out of my reading list - neither Tim Winton, John Steinbeck nor Anne Enright write about upper class subjects, and their books are classed as literary fiction.
  • Love Tim Winton. Superb, spare, delicious.