Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Copyright Question

edited March 2016 in Writing
Am I allowed to, freely, use photographs of borrowed books to illustrate my feature about the mobile library?

Comments

• Yes. The photo is wherein the copyright lies, as long as none of the blurb can be seen, maybe. Even so, it's an advert for the books, isn't it?

After all, if you took a photo of yourself in your library with books behind, you wouldn't worry about the copyright of the books would you?

In fact, you are allowed to take photos much more freely than most people realise. If you are in public, you can take a photo of anyone, anywhere and no-one can do a thing about it. It is not an invasion of privacy if you do not have a telephoto lens and are in a public space.
  • Thanks very much for your comment Liz.
  • Not necessarily relevant to Patricia's query, but here's an article that might be of general interest:

http://selfpublishingadvice.org/how-to-source-and-use-photos-in-self-published-book-covers/

• Happy Easter and thanks to both. Interesting article Baggy. The piece that I'm, currently, working on, is journalism; news about the bookmobile. The editor for whom I'm working will know the rules ... I hope!