Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can you learn to write?

edited March 2016 in Writing
My friend's wife is thinking of going back to Uni to study creative writing as this what she'd like to do full time (she's currently a drama teacher).

She's had a little minor publishing success magazines etc but she wants to write novels and thinks she needs formal training. I'm not sure if writers are born or made what does everyone else think? ?

Comments

• I think all/most successful artists have to have a dollop of natural talent, which they then have to learn how to develop.
    How they go about learning their craft varies. Some study their craft formally, others are self-taught, so I would say that formal training isn't mandatory.
  • I agree that natural talent is a must - goodness knows I've read enough competent but jaw-achingly stodgy self-published things.

The thing is that honing a craft takes an awfully long time - and a course is a fabulous way to speed up that process. Not only are you writing constantly, with expert advice on hand, everything you write is also scrutinised to within an inch of its conjuring as to whether it makes sense, is well-expressed, is interesting, jumps from the page into your mind, fills you with the intended emotion, whether the writing is liquid and flows so that it doesn't hold up your reading, whether the whole of what you are writing has suspense and highs and lows in the right places, etc. etc.

And you get contacts and a host of comrades who remain friends for life and you learn a lot about yourself.

You can do it on your own - but it's so much better having all the above.

However, I would put in the proviso that the course has to be a good one.
  • Oh - and I'd also say that if she thinks that she can be a writer full-time as soon as she leaves then she's kidding herself - i know very few full-time writers, most take years to get to that stage, and even then most like to keep their hand in somewhere in the real world because it's so important to be there listening to the cadences and interests and worries and lives of other people, because that is the raw material for your books. and you don't earn enough unless you are extremely successful anyway to not work... u
    nless you have a well-paid partner.
  • I think it all depends on how determined she is - seems like she's already dipped her toe in the water. I'd tell her if she really really really wants to be a writer then go for it - follow her dream.
  • Not many writers can afford to write full-time. If that's her ultimate aim then I think she may be disappointed.

However, she might find that the course leads to another path, one she hasn't even considered. She's in a very lucky position – embarking on something new and exciting.

Has she researched the course and checked how many have turned it into a full-time job?
  • Statistics like that are usually broken down into art, humanities, science subjects, unfortunately. But we have a page on which all the published books are put - you could try looking for one of those - sadly ours is only reachable by alumni.

The year I did (it was an MA, I wouldn't have had the time for a BA) was the best year of my life.
  • Further down the line agents seem to favour those who've been on such courses.
    Like Liz says, I imagine they're useful in many ways but they are no guarantee of a writing career, or of having a book published, or even writing a good book if you don't have it in you to start with.
  • Some good points she's got a well paid husband which always helps I suppose and would allow her to take the time. I agree with most of the comments and have to say I'm a little envious of her as I like most mortals have to fit writing in around work and kids etc. She used to email me loads of questions but of course what works (or doesnt) for me won't necessarily work for her.

If I had my time over I'd have done a drama/creative degree rather than the general business one I did and will make sure my girls when they're time comes follow their hearts not heads!!
  • Me too. Wish there'd have been such a thing as a creative writing degree when I was young - I'd have been on it like a shot!
  • I'd have loved that! The nearest I could do was an English degree, but it was all about literature. The reason I loved English at school was because of the writing...
  • I wish some bugger would teach me