Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Am I turning into TN?

edited May 2016 in Writing
I'm a long way off wearing matching socks, but... I'm reading a friend's ms and she uses 'imposter' and 'smoothes', where I would use impostor and smooths. So I looked them up and all the versions are acceptable and this bothers me.
Tagged:

Comments

• Life is hard, Ana.
    You've just gotta roll with it (in a clockwise direction whilst wearing matching socks and co-ordinating underwear).
  • edited May 2016
    Double post.
  • There's one way to check. Find some people and stand near them. If you can easily see if their socks match, but can't crane your head up high enough to see if their hair is smooth, then you may be turning into TN. If you can see above waist level, then you're an imposter.
  • As long as it's consistent use, ana s.

And don't mention socks in my company- I'm only just getting over that from last Sunday. ;)

• I'm a long way off wearing matching socks, but... I'm reading a friend's ms and she uses 'imposter' and 'smoothes', where I would use impostor and smooths. So I looked them up and all the versions are acceptable and this bothers me.
    When there's two options I always refer to the New Oxford Dictionary For Writers & Editors (catchy title). Yes, either might be acceptable, but if you follow something that creates your style guide, you will be consistent in all your work and not just the current WIP. For instance, they list impostor as their first choice. I would simply hit the friend with the book. Pain is a good educator.

• Yes, I use that too, BB. One source, no confusion.
    As a former library administrator I cannot condone the hitting with the book suggestion. Use a brick.
  • NB, please ensure that either weapon, be it book or brick, is pristine and symmetrical. Thankyouverymuch.
  • And ensure no pages are bent during the irregular use of.
  • I already commented on this!
    Then I discovered there are two thread - one for me and one for everyone else.
    Should I be flattered or insulted?

*waits for insult from sm*
  • can't be arsed...
  • Yes, I use that too, BB. One source, no confusion.
    As a former library administrator I cannot condone the hitting with the book suggestion. Use a brick.
    I've been recommending it on here for years – the book. And the violence. I am nothing if not consistent.
    can't be arsed...
    Isn't today lovely?

• had worse...

Had better...
  • Oh!

*checks shelf*

You recommended that very book to me, Baggy. I have it right here.
  • Throw it at SM! Now!
  • I've already received abuse from TN on another thread
  • I am a vulnerable pensioner
  • Yes. Do we care? Nope.
  • A naughty pensioner, more like...

*aims*
  • *poises camera*
  • *launches missile*
  • Just do what good old Robbie Burns did and make words up - scrimorous himorous timorous moostie - I'm pretty sure that's what he did when he couldn't get something to rhyme - then again he lived when 90% of the population were illiterate (bits of Glasgow still like that) and could get away with it if he was ever challenged he'd just say och dinnae worry himorous is just an old Scots word for IPAD! ! Then he'd get pissed on cheap whisky and make more stuff up.