Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Formatting and writing styles

edited June 2016 in Writing
Hey, TBers.

Finished my second novel (woohoo) a couple of weeks ago and busy editing and formatting the whole thing now (booo).

The first question is about paragraphs. Now, I've seen in most novels that an indent is used instead of a full line space for a paragraph, but every now and then there's a book where a full line space between paragraphs are used. I personally find the latter option more natural, but if it is going to hold me back when sending out my MS then I will change it to the first method. Which is correct or preferred??

Also, if I were to use the indent method, then when a character point of view changes what should I do to indicate this? At the moment I just have a paragraph space between a point of view change - like I do every paragraph. But if I choose to indent I feel that a change in point of view needs something more than just an indent. Or perhaps it doesn't?? HELP.

As you can probably guess, I wasn't this thorough with my first novel before sending it off. Which probably, no, definitely worked against me. Along with many other things of course.

Thanks.

Comments