Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Strange line on my Word document

edited September 2016 in Writing
Each time I open a new, blank page in Word, there is a strange line in the top left corner - like an underline - and it is resisting all attempts to delete it!

Does anyone know the secret?

Comments

• Try clicking on the backward p in the Word toolbar and try and deletee it.

Another thought, could it be something within the header area?

Alternately try the clear all formatting option and see if it's still there.
  • You might be in Outline or Draft view, those modes underline the caret. Try switching back to Print View.
  • Under View on the top menu bar BTW :)
  • I had tried that, Carol. Didn't work.

I was in 'Normal' view (as I think I always have been), br, but in 'Print Layout', it does disappear. The trouble is, it shows on documents and not everyone will use 'Print Layout' to view them, will they?

This happened once before when I inadvertently clicked something. I can't remember what I did to get rid of it. I had to clear something, I think.
  • Ah ha, I've only ever used Word in the default Print view.

It doesnt print, and there doesnt seem to be a way to get rid of it that I can see :S Most people seem to think it's to show you are not in print view. It's a standard thing that's been there forver so I don't think others viewing the document will worry about it.
  • Oh! You live and learn.

Thanks, br!
  • I'm still looking, in case there is a way to hide it.
  • Be careful in case it appears in your published version. Hiding 'track changes' removes 'changes' from being viewed as such but if you upload it, the 'changes' appear on the printed version. In the paperback. That people buy.

I had someone contact me about that problem a couple of weeks ago. All his insertions were date stamped. :O In the paperback. That people were buying...

Word can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. ;)
  • edited September 2016
    It definitely doesn't appear when you print or PDF :)

*an orange can be dangerous in the wrong hands :P
  • No, nor did this guy's changes. They didn't appear on the CS online viewer either. It was only when the proof copy arrived and he got his sweaty paws on it that the issue was revealed.

If you insert a space with 'track changes' and don't accept it but turn off the viewing, you will have a vertical line appear to the side of the text, in the printed book version.

Oranges are very dangerous. I will never attempt to peel one without Marigolds and a blindfold.
  • So today's lesson is: avoid track changes...
  • No, today's lesson is to use 'track changes' properly.

• Wait, where did Track Changes come into this? :S
  • And the orange.
  • This is probably absolutely nothing to do with TN's problem, but when I type a story in Word then copy and paste it to my blog, I always get that little dash under the typed title. I back-space it out, but it's irritating, and doesn't show on the original Word document.
  • I'm with you Mrs Baggy. The 'orange' floored me, too.

Mr Robots has an inane ability to put one over us and make us suffer by trying to work him out!
  • I seem to recall a tweet about his orange angst.
  • Unrelated angst :P
  • So we're OK to mention the spherical fruit in your presence, br?
  • Yup, I'll even let you buy me an orange.
  • I get the line if I am in 'Outline' view. I always write everything in 'Print' view, at 100%, which means there is blue or grey around the white, and then if I need to I make the document bigger to see it more easily.

Don't copy and paste from outline view I think is the lesson.

Do everything in 'Print' view. I've never had a problem. Or, at the very least, switch to 'Print' view before printing or copy and pasting.
  • Thank you, HA. I will have a look at the link later.
  • Hooray! It worked!

Thank you, HA!
  • *cannot think of any conceivable reason for anyone to and wonders why Nell was typing three underscores, hyphens, equal signs or asterisks*
  • I have the Office Word and it is devil to find one's way around it, at least getting used to it. I am on Windows 7 and its far from easy, still having teething troubles with it. Yes I can hear it, some of you witty pair, teething troubles, those sort of things happen to babies
  • I have no recollection of doing any of those things. I think it must have been an accident, and one I am sure to repeat. This is not the first time it has happened.
  • I was just looking up an old short story I had saved and those lines were in my Word document too.