Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What Irks You?

2»

Comments

• irk: to irritate, annoy. Origin: Middle English, (in the sense of to be annoyed or disgusted); perhaps from Old Norse yrkja, to work.
    So there, you see - irk does indeed rhyme with work.
    It also rhymes with lurk, berserk, kirk, dirk, murk, and Turk.

My first boss used to cry 'irky-Moses' when things were going wrong. No idea why.
  • Football supporters who forget the rest of the carriage don't want to hear their discussions.

A group of late 20's early to mid 30's got on the train to London- they were going to Wembley for the England/Scotland game. They were wearing poppies.

I was just going to Leicester for the Belmont Belles RNA chapter.

As the train wasn't due to leave until 11.05, at 11.00 by my watch I closed my eyes and thought about my great-uncle who died in 1917, the friends of another great-uncle (who survived) who died on the Somme, and for my father, the friends he remembered each year.

Sad to say, a few of this group didn't stop their exuberance and swearing from the time they got on until I got off 30 minutes later. :(

• Firk me, we got a rhyming contest happening!
    =))
  • edited November 2016
    I suspect Carol they didnt even know
    It was time for the silence let alone whatday it was
  • 'going forward'

'back in the day'

...and if anyone says 'bored of' to my face, I swear to God I will kick them in the crotch.
  • Statement I swear to God

Makes me so bored of it all
  • I don't like smirk either - nasty connotations.
  • . . . I swear to God I will kick them in the crotch.
    I know we shouldn't reveal too much of our personal selves on a forum, but I don't mind a bit of a kickin'.

• Sentences that begin with the adverb 'suddenly'.